chapter 2

I could feel the blood drain from my face at the sight of those four dark eyes staring down at me.

as a smile crept onto his face I snapped out of it and turned to flee down the tunnel. The arachne climbed down from above the tunnel's entrance and chuckled darkly as he slowly followed after me.

'I have to get out of here!' As I ran from the tunnel's entrance, darkness encompassed me leaving me to stumble blindly in the dark. I continuously tripped over rocks and uneven terrain becoming completely disoriented before practically running face first into a wall.

As I fell back with a cry I felt my foot slip and a sharp pain cut across the underside of my heel. sitting upright I winced feeling pain radiating from my foot, but I was practically blind.

Hearing the tapping sound of the Arachne's spider-like claws echoing through the cave I whipped my head back and forth trying to figure out the direction it was coming from, but the darkness surrounding me was disorienting.

Taking a few panicked breaths I closed my eyes and tried to focus some of my power into producing a flame. "Please please!" As a light started to fill the space I cracked my eyes open to see a decent sized fire in the palm of my hand.

With that I was finally able to make out my surroundings and look at my foot to see a large cut I managed to obtain from slipping on the jagged rocks. I grimaced at the sight but had no time to worry about it.

I stood up and gazed around me, my heart sank again. I was at an intersection of tunnels with no clue as to where I came from.

I looked all around expecting the arachne to jump out at me at any second from any one of the tunnels as his footsteps echoed all around me.

Having no time to sit around and think about where I should go, I picked a random tunnel and started running again. hoping it was not the same tunnel he was in.

as I ran I saw no signs of him anywhere, meaning I must've picked the right tunnel. Perhaps my luck hasn't run out quite yet.

With a limp I made my way through the cave. I started noticing more and more webbing covering the surrounding walls and ceiling, 'did I pick the wrong tunnel? Have I just put myself even deeper into the arachne's nest?'

slowing to a stop I looked back and tried to listen for any movement or sounds that might suggest he was following me, but there was nothing, just silence. Somehow that silence was even scarier than the giant cat beast. taking a moment to catch my breath I looked at the tunnel ahead of me, the walls were covered in more webbing much like a burrow.

'Should I turn back?' I looked back and forth, unsure as to what to do, either way seemed like a bad idea. if I go back I risk a high chance of the arachne finding me but if I continue forward I could be putting myself into the heart of his den.

The flame in my hand started to flicker and waver much to my dismay.

Grabbing my wrist I turned my focus on trying to get it to stay burning. "Come on, come on!" I squeezed my eyes shut pouring as much energy as I could into the fire magic, but after everything that had happened today, my mana was practically depleted and I was struggling to just keep going. "please!"

Tears formed in the corners of my eyes as I gripped my wrist tightly. After a moment the flame stabilized once more and I sighed in relief, opening my eyes to gaze at it.

"Oh little witch, you should know how this little game of hide and seek will end~" a dark voice echoed from the tunnel behind me. With a quick glance back I decided going the way I came from was no longer an option.