Beneath the Surface

Zenith High School was everything I wasn't-polished, privileged, and perfect on the outside. But I'd made it here, fought tooth and nail to sit in the same rooms as the kids who had never known a day of struggle. I'd worked too hard to let anyone tell me I didn't belong, even if some of them tried to make me feel that way.

Like Adrian.

I glanced at him as I sat in the student council room, his dark eyes focused on the agenda in front of him. He exuded control, like the world bent to his will and he never had to sweat to get what he wanted. His presence filled the room, and it annoyed me more than I cared to admit. He didn't know what it was like to fight for every inch, to carry the weight of a family on your shoulders. He just saw me as the outsider, the girl who'd somehow slipped through the cracks into his world.

I clenched my fists under the table, reminding myself that I had every right to be here. I'd earned my place just as much as any of them-more, even. "I think we should allocate more of the budget to the scholarship fund," I said, my voice cutting through the silence. "There are students who could really use that money."

Adrian's eyes snapped up to meet mine, a challenge already simmering behind them. "We've already discussed this. The budget is balanced as it is. We can't just shift funds around because you feel strongly about it."

"It's not about feelings," I shot back, refusing to back down. "It's about doing what's right. We're supposed to be helping people, not just maintaining appearances."

His jaw tightened, and for a moment, it looked like he was going to snap back with something sharp. But instead, he leaned back in his chair, his gaze never leaving mine. "And what do you suggest we cut, then? The art programs? Sports? You can't just take from one to give to another without consequences."

I could feel the tension in the room, the other council members watching us, waiting to see who would win this round. "What about the funds for the gala?" I suggested, my voice steady. "We could scale back on some of the extravagance. It's a charity event, not a display of wealth."

Adrian's eyes narrowed, and I knew I'd hit a nerve. The gala was his baby, the event that put his family's name in the spotlight. "The gala raises significant funds for the school," he said, his tone clipped. "Cutting its budget would be counterproductive."

"And how much of that money actually goes to the students who need it?" I challenged, leaning forward. "We could make it more about the cause and less about impressing donors."

He was silent for a moment, his gaze locked on mine. I could see the wheels turning in his mind, weighing my words, deciding whether or not to give in. Finally, he sighed, running a hand through his dark hair. "Fine," he said, surprising me. "We'll look at the budget again. But don't expect miracles, Giselle. Some things can't be changed overnight."

It wasn't a victory, but it wasn't a loss either. I'd take it. "Thank you," I said, my tone softer, though the tension between us still hung in the air. "That's all I'm asking."

---

I never thought I'd find myself thinking about Adrian outside of these meetings. But there I was, lying in bed, staring at the ceiling, replaying our conversations in my head. It was infuriating. He was infuriating. The way he could get under my skin with just a look, the way he could make me second-guess myself.

I didn't like it. I didn't like him. And yet, I couldn't stop thinking about him.

The next day, I found myself in the library, trying to focus on my homework, but my mind kept drifting back to the council room, to the way Adrian had looked at me when I'd challenged him. There was something in his eyes that I hadn't noticed before-something like respect, but mixed with something else I couldn't quite place.