Chapter 7: The White Knights

"Fighting is meaningless without loss," a deep, resonant voice echoed through the room, commanding instant attention. The man stepped forward, dressed in a pristine white suit that gleamed under the dim lighting, his silvery hair slicked back in perfect order. Beside him hovered a floating sword, its sharp edge reflecting the faint light.

"You are to tag others with this," he said calmly, gesturing to the paintball gun in his hand.

Vivian's eyes narrowed as she pointed toward the sword. "And you have your weapon out. Who are you to tell us what to do?"

"If you want to tag people, go do it somewhere else," Selene added, her voice cool but watchful. Both women stood firm, their bodies tense, ready for anything.

The man raised a brow, unshaken by their defiance. "Relax. I'm not here to fight. I'm here to propose something better." His words came with an easy confidence, but Selene and Vivian remained on edge.

Vivian crossed her arms. "Why would we team up with you?" she asked, the suspicion clear in her tone.

Selene, ever direct, followed up. "We don't even know what's going on here. All we got were vague instructions to tag and eliminate others."

The man's smile didn't reach his eyes. "A hundred people were brought here. Only fifty will make it through. Those fifty will then be divided into teams of five for specialized tasks. The moment I entered this place, I began analyzing the participants to find the strongest, and you two are among the ten gifted I find... intriguing." He paused, letting his words sink in. "Those who don't join a team will be randomly assigned. What do you say?"

"How do you know all of this?" Selene demanded.

"The owner of Phantom's Edge is a close friend of my father. That's all I'll say about that. Now, what's your decision?" He extended his hand, the weight of his offer hanging in the air.

Vivian and Selene exchanged a glance, their wariness easing slightly, though they stayed alert.

"If you try anything suspicious, I'll deal with you myself," Vivian warned, stepping forward and gripping his hand firmly. "Vivian Blackwood." She introduced herself, and the moment her name left her lips, the man's eyes flickered with recognition.

"I've heard of you," he said simply, before turning to Selene.

Selene shook his hand as well. "Selene," she stated.

"Welcome to the team, partners," he said with a slight smile. "My name is Logan Pierce, and you're now part of the White Knights."

Vivian's eyes flicked to Selene. "Just so you know, I'm still furious about your attempt to kidnap my sister."

"Feel free to come after me anytime," Selene shot back, a smirk tugging at her lips.

Logan sighed, stepping between them. "Deal with that later. Right now, our focus is the challenge ahead. If we take out the real threats, Phantom's Edge will be ours for the taking."

~~~~~~

"If you don't mind me asking, why did you choose to join Phantom Edge?" the red-haired boy asked Evelyn, his voice casual, yet curious.

Evelyn shrugged, her gaze distant. "I didn't come here by choice." She fiddled with a dumbbell, her fingers brushing against its cold metal surface. It seemed the boy knew nothing of her or her infamous father, despite her face being plastered all over the media.

"Your parents forced you?" He chuckled, oblivious to the weight of her words. "Ever since I heard about Anonymous, I've been working hard to become one of them."