Chapter 21: Tension Beneath the Surface

Evelyn paced her dorm, her mind buzzing with the possibilities of her nature ability. She held out her hand and summoned a small vine, watching as it curled and grew at her command. Its movement was fluid and obedient, a direct extension of her will. She twisted it, making the vine coil into intricate shapes before releasing it, letting it fall back into the ground. A few minutes passed like this—small, repetitive exercises, pushing her control and testing her limits.

She sat down, leaning against the wall as she stared at her hand. This power... it feels endless, she thought. What else could I do with it?

Her mind wandered to the trees outside, their roots digging deep into the earth, their branches stretching toward the sky. A thought began to form in the back of her mind, something more ambitious than anything she'd tried before. What if... what if I could do more than just control plants? She stood up, excitement bubbling in her chest. What if I could create something living?

The idea settled in her mind. A human-like figure, made entirely from her nature ability. It seemed almost impossible, but she was determined to try.

She positioned herself in the center of her room and stretched out both hands, channeling her energy. A small seed appeared in her palm, its shell glowing faintly with her green aura. Slowly, she lowered it to the floor, willing the seed to grow. At first, a simple plant sprouted, its leaves unfurling and branches forming, just as she had done many times before. But this time, she didn't stop there.

Evelyn closed her eyes, focusing on the shape she wanted—the form of a human. She could feel the energy within her stir, stretching beyond the boundaries she'd been used to. The plant began to grow taller, its branches twisting and curling unnaturally. Slowly, the leaves started to form a crude shape, resembling arms, legs, and a head. The body thickened, bark forming along what would be the torso. Thin branches intertwined to create the rough outline of a face, though expressionless.

The process was slow and required immense concentration. Evelyn's breath came in short, steady bursts as she guided the plant's growth. She controlled each vine, each twig, molding them into something more. She visualized the shape of a human and fed that image into her creation. Her hands trembled from the effort, but she refused to stop. Slowly, the form began to resemble a human silhouette.

Her nature ability took root in the figure, filling the interior of the creation with tree fibers, bark, and vines twisted together. It wasn't exactly flesh and blood, but it was close enough. The creature stood on two legs, rigid but balanced. Evelyn marveled at her work—this was more than she had ever done before. The figure looked human, though its body was clearly made of nature—its "skin" composed of smooth bark and the veins within were green, pulsing faintly with her energy.

She took a step back, examining the being. It stood motionless, waiting for her command. Could it move on its own? Could it follow her instructions? She extended her hand toward it and willed it to walk. The creature took a step forward, the movement stiff and unnatural but functional. The wooden limbs creaked as it walked toward her, each step slower than the last.

Evelyn's heart raced, a mix of exhilaration and disbelief. She had actually done it—created a human-like being using her nature ability. Though primitive, it moved. It was alive, at least in a sense.

Evelyn stared at her creation, a mix of awe and curiosity filling her mind. The figure stood before her—tall, elegant, but clearly made of wood and vines. She couldn't help but marvel at how far she had pushed her abilities. But as she examined the form, an idea began to grow in her mind. It was nearly perfect, but not quite human. The texture was wrong, too rough, too plant-like.

"How do I make her have human skin?" Evelyn muttered to herself, circling the wooden figure. Her eyes traced the curves of the creation, admiring how the vines and bark had formed the shape of a perfect female body. The figure was well-proportioned, but something was still missing. "She needs to be flexible too, like a real human. Right now, she's just... stiff."