5) FRIENDS?

Arth's POV:

As we walked into the house, maa flung open the door, a look of relief washing over her face when she saw Aratrika standing beside me.

"Oh, thank goodness you're home safe, beta!"
she exclaimed, rushing to envelop Aratrika in a warm hug.

Aratrika smiled, hugging her back.
"I'm sorry, Auntie, I didn't mean to worry you."

Maa held her at arm's length, inspecting her for any signs of distress.

"You're sure you're okay? That boy didn't trouble you, did he?"
That boy I'm her own son ( ̄∇ ̄) may be she's still upset with me

Aratrika shook her head, glancing at me. "No, Auntie, Arth helped me. I'm fine."

Maa gaze turned to me, her eyes filled with anger but she choose to ignore me

I shrugged. "It's okay, Maa. I'll always make sure she's safe."

As we stepped inside, the warmth and comfort of the house enveloped us, chasing away the lingering tension from earlier.

My mother's expression softened, and she nodded.
"You both must be exhausted. Go rest now, and we'll talk more about this later."

I nodded, feeling a mix of relief and guilt. I knew I had done the right thing in finding Aratrika and bringing her home safely, but I also knew I had left her behind earlier, which had put her in danger.

As we headed to our respective rooms, I couldn't shake off the feeling that my mother was disappointed in me. I had expected her to scold me for leaving Aratrika behind, but instead, she had ignored that part and focused on the fact that I had helped her.

I lay down on my bed, my mind racing with thoughts. Why had my mother ignored my mistake? Was she trying to protect me from feeling guilty? Or was she just relieved that Aratrika was safe?

I turned my head to look at the wall that separated my room from Aratrika's. I wondered what she was thinking, if she was feeling okay ??

I knocked on my mother's door, feeling a sense of trepidation. She called out, and I entered, finding her sitting on her bed, a book in her lap.

"Maa, can I talk to you?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper.

She looked up, concerned etched on her face. "Of course, beta. What's on your mind?"

I took a deep breath and apologized for leaving Aratrika behind. My mother listened, her expression softening.

"Arth, you did the right thing by bringing her home safely," she said. "But I think there's something more bothering you."

I nodded, feeling a lump form in my throat. "I was harsh on her when we first met. I thought she was just a temporary guest, but...I was wrong."

My mother's expression changed, and she set her book aside. "Arth, Aratrika's parents passed away a few years ago. She has no one left, except for us now. Her grandmother, who was her guardian, also passed away recently."

I felt like I'd been punched in the gut. All this time, I had no idea. No wonder she seemed so alone, so lost.

"Oh, Maa, I had no idea," I whispered, feeling a wave of guilt wash over me. "I was so cruel to her."

My mother got up and hugged me tightly. "You didn't know, beta. But now that you do, be kind to her. She needs us, and we're all she has."