First Day

"Alright everyone! New interns are coming in, I assigned everyone 2 interns. Grey, you get Liz, and Courtney. Yang, you get Matt, and Alice. Bailey, you get Bre, and Stephen. Derek, there wasn't anymore interns." Jackson said.

Derek shook his head and heard the front doors open. "Ahh, look the interns." He said to Meredith. Meredith chuckled under her breath. "I'll see you later, I have to go check on a patient." Derek said smiling at the new interns while they walk past him.

"Ok, we're still on for lunch right?" Meredith asked smiling also. She looked beside her but he was already gone.

"More interns, just what we needed. More people just to irritate me." Derek thought to himself. "I need Lisa Timber's chart." He said to one of the nurses.

"Ah Mrs. Timbers...." Derek says walking into the room.

"It's Ms. not Mrs." Lisa said.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Ms. Timbers. Looks like you are having back pains, throbbing headaches, and you can't feel your left hand. Am I right?"

"Yes." Lisa says.

"Ok so we need to get a CT scan and an X-ray on your spine, and hand. And we'll see what we can do ok. So sit tight, and someone will be in soon for your CT." Derek says leaving the room.

"Dr. Sheppard?" Lisa says.

"Yes, Ms. Timbers?" Derek says coming back into the room.

"How do you get your hair like that?" Lisa said smiling.

"Umm, well I don't really know. It just ends up like this everyday." Derek says leaving the room quickly.
"Page Yang to take patient 214 to CT and X-ray please." He says to a nurse.

"Hey Derek." Owen says.

"Oh hi Owen." Derek says.

"You look like your tired or something." Owen said.

"Zola couldn't go to sleep last night. She has a head cold, and she can't sleep for more than 2 hours or so. I let Meredith sleep, while I took care of Zola." Derek says sighing.

"Sounds like you had a busy night." Owen says chuckling.

"Yeah no kidding." Derek says walking away.

------------------------------

"Bailey, I need your help later on a transplant." Arizona says.

"Ok what time?" Bailey asks.

"2:30 p.m." Arizona says.

"I can't. It's my husband's birthday party at that time." Bailey says.

"I need you though Bailey. Figure something out and let me know." Arizona says walking away.

"Page Dr. Shepard to the front desk." Bailey tells one of her interns.

------------------------------

"You paged me Bailey." Derek says.

"Yes I did. I need you to take over a transplant with Arizona for me. It's at 2:30 and I'm leaving for my husband's birthday party. And I can't miss his party."Bailey says.

"Yeah I'll do it. Can I borrow one of your interns so they can learn something about tranplants?" He asks.

"Yeah I don't care." Bailey says walking away.

"Bre." Derek says.

Bre looks up from her clipboard. "Yes Dr. Shepard?"

"Scrub in at 2:30. OR 2." Derek says smiling at her.

"Thank you Dr. Shepard. I'll be there." Bre says walking away.

"Interns......think it's easy." Derek thought to himself.

------------------------------

"Yang where is Ms. Timber's results from the CT's and X-rays?" Derek asks walking into the room.

"The results are right here. They're not good." Christina says. Derek took the scans and held them up to the light.

"Is that.......that's a tumor." Derek says looking at Yang. She looked at him and down at the ground.

"Look at the X-ray's." Christina says.

Derek held the X-rays up to the light. " She has another tumor around the middle of her spine."

"Derek, it's not another tumor. It's the same tumor." Christina said tracing the tumor around the scan.

"Schedule an OR for tomorrow. First thing tomorrow morning." Derek says leaving the room.

-----------------------------

"So how's your day today?" Meredith asked.

"Busy. My patient Ms. Timbers has a brain tumor that's also wrapped around her spine. At 2:30 I have to cover for Bailey's surgery. Taking one of her interns to learn something real. Besides following Bailey." Derek says.

"Which intern? Bre or Stephen?" Meredith asks.

"Bre. I think she could learn something useful. It's her first time in an OR or seeing a transplant on a 8 yearold." Derek says. "Oh I got to go take care of a patient. I'll see you around."

--------2:30p.m---------------

"You ready Bre?" Derek asks walking into the scrubbing station.

"I'm a bit nervous to be honest." She says.

"Everyone's nervous their first time. Not too far from now you'll be cutting into someone. Let's go." He says walking into the OR, Bre follows him.

"Scalpel." Arizona says.

-------------------------------

"Bre you want to close her up?" Arizona asks

"Yes, of course." Bre says walking over.

"That's good, you're pretty steady. I think that's it. We're done, good job Bre." Derek says leaving the OR smiling at her.