CHAPTER THIRTY-FIVE GRAVITATIONAL

CHAPTERTHIRTY-FIVE 

 GRAVITATIONAL

Wombat zipped through the air, a trail of flame in his wake, holding Caleb and Chase in his hands, teeth gritted at the sheer effort it was taking him to maintain altitude while holding them. At full strength, this wouldn't have been enough for him to break a sweat but the truth was he was no where near full strength.

"Where are you taking us?" Caleb queried, yelling so he could be heard over the rushing wind.

"I uhh, I don't know, I haven't figured it out yet," Wombat answered. "I just need to buy enough time to figure out a real strategy to take out those two bozos back at the orphanage. You guys got any ideas?"

"We could help you fight," Chase suggested.

"Do you know how to fight?"

"No, but how hard can it be?" Chase frowned.

"Yep," Wombat sighed. "That's what I though—,"

WHAM!

Wombat slammed into what had to be a glowing green wall, the force with which he slammed into it dazing him instantly. A look around revealed that it hadn't been just a wall. He'd been trapped in some sort of force field, along with Caleb and Chase. And then, without warning, they plummeted. He heard their screams as they dropped out of the air, tried to ignite his feet and hands once more to regain flight but he was far too dazed for that.

It was when they were only twenty feet away from plummeting into asphalt that the force field vanished. Immediately, he grabbed hold of the twins, using controlled bursts of flames to move through the air and toward them. Holding on to the both of them, he spun over so they were above him, so he could take the fall in their place.

He squeezed his eyes shut and a moment later, he slammed hard into the ground, an intense pain shooting throughout his body.

He groaned and with gritted teeth, turned over. With great effort, he attempted to summon the strength to return to his feet but it was useless. His knees buckled, and the taste of iron filled his mouth. He spat blood from his mouth, wiped it off his lips with the back of his palm and found himself chuckling soon after.

"Man, I'm really at my limit now, aren't I?" he chuckled. "That's a first."

"Did you really think you would be able to run?" came a voice from behind him. He recognized it at once as belonging to the smug little kid from the orphanage. Kai.

He glanced over his shoulder at the boy. He was hovering just a few feet over the ground, arms crossed, a deeply bored expression on his face.

Wombat sighed and attempted to rise to his feet once more. This time, Caleb and Chase helped him up. He found himself a little surprised by the strength both boys had, and actually found himself considering whether or not they could be helpful in this fight.

But then he saw the look in their eyes. They were scared.

No, he couldn't ask them to fight. They were kids. Untrained and frightened. He'd protect them, even if it was the last thing he did.

Back on his feet now, he took a step in Kai's direction, ignited flames on both his hands. "You're not taking those kids anywhere," he snarled.

"I could end your life by giving you a moment of my attention," Kai drawled. "You do know that, right? If I wanted you dead, you already would be. That you can still walk and talk is me showing mercy. Stand aside, boy. Or die."

"I don't know about you but I'm not the type to stand aside," Wombat shrugged, grinned. "And I don't much feel like dying either which means this is suddenly a very tricky situation. I believe we've arrived at what I'd like to call an impasse."