Chapter 6: Pre-Death Habits

Were there survivors?

Seeing the shattered remains of zombies in the stairwell, this thought flashed through Wu Heng's mind.

But after a closer look, he quickly dismissed the idea.

The way the zombies had been torn apart didn't look like it was done by humans; it seemed more like they were ripped to pieces by some kind of monster.

Claw marks that had stripped the paint off the entrance door suggested something more beastly was in the stairwell.

It was as if a wild animal or monster was still lurking in the building.

"Damn!"

Wu Heng cursed again.

Yesterday the stairwell door was left open, and today there was an unknown monster.

It seemed his own unit had been the safest after all.

Clang, clang, clang!

Suddenly, the stairwell railing began to vibrate violently.

The sound quickly spread through the entire stairwell.

It was as if something was repeatedly striking the stairwell railing downstairs.

A sense of tension rose in Wu Heng's heart once again.

Gripping his weapon tightly, he whispered, "Let's go down."

Wu Heng walked in the middle of the group, heading downstairs.

Together, they moved cautiously down the stairs.

The sound of the skeletons' footsteps was drowned out by the loud clanging against the iron railing.

No enemies were drawn out by the noise.

As they continued down, they encountered more broken and torn-apart zombie remains.

Wu Heng decided not to use Raise Skeleton yet; he wanted to see what was ahead first.

They reached the fourth-floor platform, where the sound of the iron railing being struck was coming from just below.

He repositioned the skeletons and cautiously peered down the next few flights of stairs.

A patchy, golden-haired lion-like zombie was clutching the railing with its front paws, wildly swinging its body.

It looked like a frenzied beast, venting excess energy on the iron railing.

"What's going on?"

Could animals be infected too?

And how did a lion end up in the stairwell?

As if sensing Wu Heng's gaze, the swinging lion zombie suddenly stopped.

It turned its head and looked up at him.

Its shriveled lips pulled back to reveal sharp fangs, with bits of flesh hanging from its mouth.

This was no lion.

It was the pet Teddy that the building's owner had.

Only now, its size had multiplied several times, and with its yellow fur, it didn't look much different from a lion.

Even as a zombie, it hadn't shaken off the habit of swinging its hips everywhere.

Grr~Roar!

The zombie Teddy let out a roar and charged upward.

Seeing it was just a Teddy, Wu Heng's tension eased significantly.

As the zombie Teddy rushed up, Wu Heng took two steps back and ordered, "Kill it."