Chapter 9: Survivors

"Do you have anyone to testify for you?"

A witness?

I don't even know what happened, and now they need a witness?

After thinking for a moment, he said, "The owner of this house should be able to testify for me."

Better drag the landlord into this.

After all, he didn't know many people here, and besides the landlord, no one else came to mind.

"What were you doing before nightfall?" the guard continued to ask.

"I was in my room exercising."

"Have you noticed any suspicious people recently?"

"No!"

The guard leaned slightly, glancing into the room before saying, "We need to search your place."

Wu Heng glanced back at his room, feeling there was nothing to hide, and stepped aside, "Go ahead."

The leading guard nodded, and another guard walked inside, beginning to check the room.

The room was small, with few belongings.

Any special items were kept in the zombie world, so Wu Heng wasn't worried about anything being found.

Looking back at the guard standing outside, he asked, "Did something happen?"

The guard's expression didn't change as he casually replied, "A body was found in the crowded district last night, killed in a brutal manner."

Oh...

Someone died, no wonder.

Solving crimes in the crowded district was pretty straightforward.

The traces at the scene, the suspect's story, and the testimony of nearby residents could all be used as evidence.

But if the act was done discreetly, it would be hard to solve.

On the other hand, if the evidence pointed to you, even if you didn't do it, it would be difficult to prove your innocence.

They could just arrest and execute you, with no place to appeal.

And for Wu Heng, being a necromancer already made him a subject of special attention in the city. When something like this happened nearby, he was bound to be interrogated more thoroughly.

Others might just be questioned, but they had to search his place.

"No leads?" Wu Heng asked again.

"Besides some potential dangerous individuals, we can't rule out the possibility that a wanted criminal has entered the city," the guard replied, glancing at him.

Oh, come on...

That's a loaded statement.

At this moment, the guard searching the room came back out, shaking his head slightly to indicate he found nothing.

The guard at the door didn't linger, just advised, "If you find any clues, you can report them to us. There will be a reward."

"Alright."

He agreed verbally but didn't take it seriously.

With his limited skills, he could barely handle a zombie, let alone a murderer.

In this world, he might not even be able to beat a woman.

The guards didn't say much more, moving on to the next house to inquire and advise on safety.