Chapter 3

Just because the two groups could be civilised to each other right now didn't mean they suddenly trusted each other. They had been on different sides of the war for so long, and they each had their own, completely different worldviews.

However, there was one thing that united them, and that was the care for the littlebones-turned Gods. And to each of them, seeing how the others cared for their respective tiny team members softened their souls for each other bit by bit.

Them all living together was also a new thing that they never thought they'd have to do. They were even against the idea at first. They were intimidated by each other, and wanted their individual groups and the kids to be safe. But the kids themselves, they were very attached to each other. It was jarring to see Nightmare hug and cling to Dream instead of trying to hurt him. And the others had a feeling that they shouldn't interfere with that, that they should let them be affectionate while they still could.

As such, they are not to be separated. The group of skeletons were granted a big house in the Omega Timeline, and the twins looked at the big house in wonder.

"Nosotros nos quedamos aqui?" ("Do we stay here?")

Dream asked, wide, star-shaped eyelights focused on the mansion. Both twins were very impressed by it, but they were impressed by any house. It was ironic, Nightmare, who owned a whole giant castle, was impressed by what was a shed in comparison.

After receiving a nod from Cross, the kids darted into the house, immediately deciding to explore it.

he first destination was the bathroom. Of course, a toilet was weird to skeletons whose body converted food into magic and energy. Double weird for someone who had only recently experienced hunger for the first time in their lives.

The mirror was an...unpleasant experience. Dream had already made Night aware of his different appearance, but he still screamed when he first saw it. Then there was the shower and bathtub. Blue vowed to give those two the joy of a bubble bath at some point.

The kitchen was next, and Horror instinctively decided to follow, Blue joining not too long after. They'd never seen a fridge before, or a gas stove, or an electric outlet.

"Nightmare, no! That's dangerous!" Horror had to shout, pulling the kid away from the outlet just in time. He also stepped in front of it, preventing Dream from reaching it as well.

After that was over, everyone picked rooms. Everyone wanted to be close to the twins, and Cross was chosen by them specifically to stay in the room next to them, and Blue on the other side.

After everyone settled in, they realized there was one room still unoccupied, even after they'd found a storage room.

When everyone was settled, the kids were hungry. A bunch of food was already there, but there was some stuff missing, so Cross volunteered to go get it. This wouldn't take long, that's what he promised. The Stars trusted him, knowing that by leaving, he wouldn't exactly be giving his team an advantage.

Horror was cooking in the kitchen, with Blue sitting on the counter and watching him. Horror was clearly uncomfortable, but he understood why Blue felt the need to do that. However, their attention was drawn in by the two children rushing in.

"¡Ey!"

Dream exclaimed, waving his hand to get their attention. Horror immediately lowered the stove and kneeled down to their level.

"¿Dónde está nuestro pueblo?" (Where is our village?)

Dream's tone seemed questioning.

Blue did that sort of awkward smile people did when they couldn't understand each other. He blinked a few times.

"What?"

The twins looked at each other. In an effort to understand, he looked at Horror for help. Horror could only sigh and shake his head, having no idea what they were saying. Horror gave Dream a worried glance, realizing that the child was about to cry.

"¿Dónde está nuestra...casa?" (Where is our...home?)

Nightmare asked, his voice quiet, devastated by either the question or the lack of answer.

"Nuestra casa??!!" (Our home??)

Nightmare repeated, his voice cracking with emotions.

Blue's awkward smile had by now faded. The kids were not just frustrated at not being understood, their issue was something they wanted to say. He exchanged another glance with Horror.

Blue pulled his phone out, trying to get into the translation app as soon as possible. The kids however were even more confused now, the device being so foreign to them. Blue had to remind himself how old Dream had once told him he was, and how long ago his childhood was. As he showed them the letters on there, they just appeared more confused, more frustrated.

They couldn't read, he realised.

It was silent for a few seconds before Dream was crying. And when Dream cried, so did Nightmare. Sitting on the floor, they were soon sobbing, full on.

"¿Dónde-...Dónde está madre?" (Where...where is mother?)

Dream asked in a small, broken voice. That word, Blue happened to have heard before, and it being paired with that emotion, Blue understood.

"Oh, kids..."

He scooted over and pulled the poor unhappy children into his arms for a hug. They may not know many things, but they knew what that was.

A few moments later, and Blue found the hug being joined by a pair of much bigger arms, and he found that he didn't mind it as much.

The hug lasted for a long time and by the time Blue pulled away, the kids seemed to almost follow his weight. Looking at them, he realised they had now fallen asleep.

With a sigh, the older skeleton picked the kids up, each in one arm, carefully carrying them to the room they'd picked.

Setting them down on the bed, he looked at them before leaving. They were so small...before all this, Dream had said this was when everything happened to them. He almost couldn't believe it, but Dream's mannerisms, Nightmare's entire being, and the little Blue saw of them as kids so far lined up.

The kids didn't deserve this, and they needed a better childhood this time around.

He exited the room, and for once, the presence of Horror right outside didn't startle him. Today's experience with him alone was enough to solidify to Blue that he wasn't a bad person.

So, he was inspired to share his thoughts. But before he coule even speak, Horror did.

"They need...a better life...better childhood. They deserve it..."

Horror paused, and Blue waited.

"They should understand us...but be...understood too."

He added, and it gave Blue an idea. Obviously, the kids would have to learn English as the most common language of the underground, but the adults should speak some Spanish too.