BETRAYAL

All of them were still sitting in the conference room waiting for ASA Chapman to come back with an update on the trial. Elena took it upon herself to finish the crossword puzzle she and Kendall had been working on minutes earlier.

Voight, who was sitting next to her, looked at his watch from time to time.  It had been a few minutes since Kendall and Nick had gone to the men's room, and he was beginning to get a little anxious.  They should have been back by now, he thought.

After a few more minutes he looked at his watch again.  It had been more than 15 minutes since they left.  He didn't care how many Coca Colas Nick had drunk, it wouldn't have taken this long to empty his bladder.

"Where the hell are they?" Voight finally said, his patience running thin.  "They should've been back by now."

"You want me to go check on them?" Atwater asked.  "I can run down there and see what's taking them so long."

"No," Voight replied, "I'll go. They need to get their asses back here right now before Chapman gets back.  You heard her, Kendall is her first witness."  He stood up and pushed back his chair.  "I'll be right back."

At that very moment a loud, squawking, deafening alarm went off that made everyone jump.

"What the hell?" Ruzek said.

The sounds of loud voices, yelling, running, and overall chaos could be heard just outside the conference room.

"Something's happening!!" said Voight as he rushed to the door, the others following closely behind him. 

When they opened the door they saw Sheriff's Deputies and other uniformed guards running down the hallway as a crowd of people stood around looking confused.

"EVERYONE REMAIN WHERE YOU ARE!!"  one of the deputies shouted.  "THIS BUILDING IS BEING LOCKED DOWN!!!   WE'RE ON LOCKDOWN!!  LOCKDOWN!!" LOCKDOWN!!

Voight corralled one of the deputies and flashed his badge.  "What the hell's going on??"

"They just found a body in the men's bathroom down the hall!!" the deputy shouted.  "We"re putting the building on lockdown!!"

Voight stumbled backwards and immediately felt sick to his stomach.  In that instant he knew it was Kendall.  Without a word he ran down the hall, pushing through the crowd as he made his way to the bathroom.  The Intelligence Team was right behind him. 

When they reached the men's room there were several people standing around the doorway, murmuring and shaking their heads.

"POLICE!! LET US THROUGH!! GET THE HELL OUT OF THE WAY!! COMING THROUGH! COMIMG THROUGH!!" he shouted.

He and the rest of the Intelligence Unit flashed their badges as the people stood aside and made a pathway for them. When they reached the door a Deputy Sheriff was standing guard at the entrance but stepped aside when he saw their badges.

"He's in there!" the Deputy said to Voight. "Brace yourself.  It ain't pretty!"

Voight stepped into the bathroom and stopped dead in his tracks. There, lying on the floor on his back was Kendall, his arms splayed out, a gaping wound in his neck, his body immersed in a pool of blood which was oozing from his neck. His eyes were open and staring vacantly at the ceiling, and Voight could tell at a glance he was dead.

Voight sank to his knees and grabbed Kendall's wrist to feel for a pulse but knew there wouldn't be one. And there wasn't.

"DID SOMEONE CALL FOR A BUS?" Ruzek shouted to the deputies.

"He's gone," was all Voight said.

"Jesus Christ," said Ruzek as he turned his back on the horrific sight.