09 ― Invisible String.

❝ Maybe we really are fated to be together after all

Maybe we really are fated to be together after all.

MARCH 12, 2026.

Theo found it hard to believe that he was twenty-one. There were many things that Theo thought he would be doing on his twenty-first birthday, and spending it in an apocalypse had never been one of them. Theo imagined that he would have a wonderful significant other (at least that box was checked), and it would be with them and their group of friends that he spent his twenty-first birthday with. Together, they would go out to a bar or some kind of fancy restaurant and drink alcohol until they could no longer.

He also used to imagine that by the time he was twenty-one years old, he would have just finished college and would be working on punishing his very first novel. He would be settling down with his significant other, and together they would be starting a family.

It all seemed like such a pipe dream now that he looked back on it. In the seven years that he spent living in the apocalypse, Theo had learned that life didn't always turn out the way you expected it would or the way you dreamed. It was strange to him to look back on the past and all the times he imagined what his life would be like once he was an adult.

Theo sighed as he walked through one of the neighborhoods a little ways outside of the city with Five by his side. They were once again searching for anything they could find. Five was determined to find something to give Theo as a gift, as he had been finding it a rather difficult task for the last two months.

They salvaged through the houses, which seemed to be rather in tact compared to the other neighborhoods they stumbled across and the buildings inside the city limits. They still had the overall look of a house, but with some walls burned down while the rest remained intact and only slightly charred.

At this point, besides food, Theo did not know what he was searching for. Any medicines he would manage to find exceeded their expiration dates. Other than medical tape and bandages, there was nothing else he could add to the first aid kit that he had put together over the years. Theo was always pleasantly surprised that neither he nor Five had managed to get sick. One would think that being stuck in a climate and environment such as the apocalypse, they would be prone to sickness. Yet Theo had experienced nothing more than an occasional nausea from having to ration food or a cold that typically went away within a few days.

Theo walked over to the house next to the one he had finished searching. The house appeared to receive a minimal amount of damage compared to the other houses on the street. Although it was still missing some of its walls, it wasn't completely burned to a crisp. Theo walked through the house, stepping on what appeared to be some kind of hardwood.

His eyes scanned the house, not finding anything of use. At least not until he stumbled upon shattered glass in the corner of the house. He followed the glass, his eyes widening.