15 ― The Wicked Witch.

❝ I go where Five goes

I go where Five goes.

NOVEMBER 10, 2060-SOMETHING.

Theo was not sure of the exact date anymore. If he was correct and had not calculated incorrectly, then Theo assumed that the year was 2062, give or take a few years. It was quite honestly a miracle that he managed to keep track for as long as he had. His hair was now completely gray, and the beard he had grown out was trimmed as best as he could get it. He found that it was actually quite warm during the colder months. Theo had never really been able to imagine himself as an old man, and he did not recognize himself when he looked in the mirror. Nor did he recognize Five—who sported the same gray hair and beard as Theo did.

Theo and Five were not the only ones to change drastically. The ash had managed to disappear from the sky, and the sun shone down brighter than ever before. Flowers had begun to bloom all around them, and grass covered the majority of the ground. Trees had even sprouted up from the ground, providing much-needed shade when it was too warm. Seeing the world being rebuilt around him was never something that Theo expected to see, but it was quite a beautiful process.

As Five had gone out to venture through the city, Theo stayed back at the library. They had come a long way ever since they decided to claim the ruins of the library as their home. They had divided the library into various sections—each one representing a different room. The walls of the library were now covered with equations as vines have begun to grow, covering them partially.

Theo sat at the desk that they had found all those heads ago, writing in his journal. He had stockpiled many over the years, and he was beginning to reach the last page of the very last journal he had. Soon, he would have to search for more.

As he reached the bottom of the page, Theo closed his notebook and placed it in his backpack along with his very last pen, which had begun to run low on ink. His backpack had seen much better days. It was tattered and torn. The zipper bull had broken off, leaving him with nothing but the slider, which made closing the backpack difficult. Theo refused to find a new backpack when Five had brought the idea up. He insisted on using the same backpack that he had entered the apocalypse with. It had far too much sentimental value. It was one of the very last things that Mama Laura had bought for him.

Theo looked up at the sound of rocks shuffling. Five was riding the bike that they had found, pulling the wheelbarrow behind him. Theo stood up from the chair and walked over to him, kissing him on the cheek to greet him.

"Find anything good?" Theo questioned as he took a seat on one of the wooden dining chairs.

Five rummaged through the wheelbarrow before he turned around, holding with two wine glasses in his hands. Theo watched him closely as he popped open a bottle and then poured it into a glass. He set the glass down on the filing cabinet next to Theo.