The First Dragon Lesson

"Welcome to dragon training!", Gobber announced, opening the main gate of the arena.

Cresta watches from outside the arena as the latest group of trainees enter. Snotlout, Fishlegs, the twins Ruffnut and Tuffnut, Astrid, and of course Hiccup.

"No turning back", Astrid says aloud as she looks around.

"I hope I get some serious burns", Tuffnut comments.

"I'm hoping for some mauling, like on my shoulder or lower back", Ruffnut replies with the same mindset as her twin.

"Yeah it's only fun if you get a scar out of it", Astrid adds.

Cresta shakes her head, unamused at them.

"Yeah, no kidding, right? Pain. Love it...", Hiccups says sheepishly as he approaches the group who all turn and notice he is there.

"Oh great. Who let him in?", Tuffnut asks.

"Let's get started!" Gobber interrupts, mostly for Hiccup's sake. "Now then, Cresta has done us the pleasure of being here with us, up there o' course", he points to her as she waves down at them. "She's here to take care of any injuries you get. But again, my job is to get you all up to speed and trained so that doesn't happen. One thing to know, as you train, the recruit who does best will win the honor of killing their first dragon in front of the entire village."

Snotlout speaks up now, "Hiccup already killed a Night Fury, so does that disqualify him or...?"

"Can I transfer to the class with the cool Vikings?", Tuffnut asks, only adding fuel to the fire.

Gobber waves them off as he approaches Hiccup and throws an arm around his shoulders for support. He tells Hiccup something, but it is too low and out of range for her to hear.

The group settles in front of the cell doors within the arena, each one holding a different dragon type. Gobber explains which ones they held as Fishlegs mumbled after hearing each of their names. There was a Deadly Natter, a Hideous Zippleback, a Monstrous Nightmare, a Terrible Terror, and a Gronkle. As Gobber named off the last one, he pulled a lever. The beam keeping the last door shut rises, alerting the recruits.

"Here we go", Cresta mumbles to herself as she stands up straight, memories of her dragon training lessons coming back to her. She kept her eyes on everyone, ready to run in if anyone got hurt.

"Whoa wait! Aren't you gonna teach us first?!", Snotlout shouts.

"He believes in learning on the job", Cresta shouts down to them, chuckling at their shocked faces. "Isn't that right, Gobber!"

"Right she is!", Gobber replies. "Now-", he's interrupted by the Gronkle blasting its way out of its cave. The recruits scramble away, heading in different directions to get away from the dragon. "Today is about survival", Gobber starts back up. "If you get blasted, you're dead. Quick, what's the first thing you're going to need?"

"A doctor?", Hiccups asks, pointing up at Cresta.

"Plus five speed?", Fishlegs offers.

"A shield", Astrid answers.

"Shields", Gobber confirms, "Go!" The recruits run off to grab shields scattered around in the arena. "You're most important piece of equipment is your shield. If you must make a choice between a sword or a shield, take the shield." He helps Hiccup lift his shield then sends him off.

The twins fight over one of the shields ending up with Ruffnut whacking her brother with it. Distracted, the Gronkle takes the opportunity to send a blast towards them which blasts the shield out of their hands and sends the twins flying in opposite directions.