Chapter 1: Rock-paper-scissors

It's funny how quickly you reconsider your life choices in a moment of crisis. Sprinting down the empty corridors of my prestigious law school at 9:10 in the morning was definitely one of those times when I questioned what I was doing on this earth.

If anyone invites you to a party on the first Wednesday night of your final year, say yes. Just make sure your best friend doesn't 'accidentally' throw your alarm clock out the window, waking you up five minutes after you should be in class. Otherwise, you might find yourself standing outside of your lecture hall playing rock-paper-scissors to decide who walks in first. Is this what my mum was picturing when I told her I was going to be top of my class this year? Probably not. But with a 23-year-old man-child for a roommate who can't hold his liquor, it was bound to happen.

"Please don't make me do this." Peter looked down at me with puppy eyes, the sick look on his face doing nothing to stir any sympathy in me.

"Don't hate the player, hate the game." I shrugged and patted his back patronisingly before attempting to push him towards the entrance of the lecture hall, letting out a defeated huff when he dug his heels into the ancient marble floors.

"No, I swear to god something important is happening today; there's no chance I'm going in before you."

"Peter."

"Can't we just go and get McDonalds or something," he pleaded, grabbing my hands to further his point.

"Who are you and what have you done with my best friend?"

He sighed and brushed the brown strands of hair from his eyes. In no universe had I ever imagined that the Peter Parker would suggest bunking off school.

"It's just going to be so embarrassing! You know Mrs. Abel isn't going to let us get away with being late, she hates us."

I scoffed. "Mrs. Abel hates everyone."

"She doesn't hate Flash," Peter grumbled, subconsciously kicking the door and sending me into a state of cardiac arrest. I pulled him to the side so both of our backs were against the wall and discreetly glanced through the door to check if anyone had noticed.

"That's because his dad paid for the new sports hall," I whisper-shouted, putting both hands on the boy's shoulders and gently shaking him. "Now please just open the door."

Peter walked forwards, flashing me a cheeky grin that only intensified the anxiousness I hid. He muttered a small "Okay," and before I even had the chance to stop him he pulled the door open, revealing me in all my awkward glory to the packed auditorium. A hundred heads snapped to look at the back of the room where the loud crash occurred, and all I could do was smile awkwardly in shame. I quickly shuffled down the steps to the only free seats at the front, my flushed red face heightening my embarrassment.

"Look y/n, I'm–"

I shook my head, slamming my bag down onto the table with little worry of disrupting the lesson since I'd already done that in glorious fashion.

"Don't think I'll be getting any spiders out of your room any time soon, Parker," I said, ignoring his horrified grimace.

Mrs. Abel spoke before Peter could utter a word of defiance. "Nice of you two to turn up. I see you're taking your last year almost as seriously as I would have expected from students who are failing my class."

I frowned, thinking my teacher had surely gone mad if she really believed the brunette and I would ever get anything less than an A-.

Seeing the equally perplexed look on my best friend's face, she continued. "This is the most important year of your life, if you're not willing to take it seriously then you don't deserve to get your degree."

I shook my head and slumped back in my chair, knowing there was no reasoning with the old hag when she was in this kind of a ruthless mood. As soon as she started droning on about extracurriculars and job prospects, my focus started to wane. Already bored out of my mind, I leaned over and whispered, "If this is the most important year of our lives, then I might as well fucking kill myself now and save us all from another one of Mrs. Abel's long ass lectures!"

A small chuckle immediately pulled my attention to the corner of the room, where possibly the most beautiful woman in the entire world stood. Without thinking, I straightened my back and leaned forward in my chair, entranced by her dazzling emerald eyes and the discreet smile that seemed meant for me only—a secret acknowledgment of my shitty attempt at a joke.

"Now as I'm sure most of you have noticed, we have a special visitor today. If you were paying attention in my last lecture, you'll know exactly who she is," Mrs. Abel announced, concluding her unnecessarily long speech with a quick gesture to the gorgeous redhead who had now walked to the centre of the stage.

I don't think I've ever heard the class so silent. Usually, there were whispers or the mind-numbing, consistent clicking of pens, but today the only sound was a shamelessly loud whisper of "Damn, she's hot!"

I mean, he wasn't wrong. Nothing is more attractive than a woman in a suit. Combine that with an obvious air of confidence, and the mysterious lady had it all.

Her eyes surveyed the hall of students in front of her with evident scrutiny, as if she were evaluating our worth with just a glance. Everyone paused with bated breath, sitting stiffly and waiting for some kind of approval from the redhead. It was an unfamiliar desire i'd never experienced before; normally, I hated attention, but now I craved it.

"I'm Wanda Maximoff, two time 'Lawyer of the Year' winner, Chambers USA Award recipient, and the new CEO of Maximoff & Associates, one of the leading law firms in America."

"So she's not that accomplished then," Peter joked, earning a shove from me in the ribs.

She spoke assertively, her voice smooth and enticing, yet each word was sharp, like a single slip of her tongue could cut you in half. As she addressed the room, she held her head high, fiery red waves of hair perfectly cascading down her back, with smaller strands framing her blemish-free face. If there was a law against being that beautiful, I'd know about it.

"I'm offering a highly competitive opportunity to apply for an internship at Maximoff & Associates. Only a select few will be chosen, and I promise you, the work does not end there. As a company we value skill, perseverance, and ambition."

Her eyes met mine, and I nearly died on the spot.

"What we don't tolerate is disrespect and tardiness," she said, a hint of a smirk tugging at her pink lips.

I looked down at the table with flushed cheeks that I hoped she wouldn't notice. Holding Maximoff's gaze was an impossible task—it was so intense I still felt the sparks twisting up my spine.

She spoke softer, almost daring me to look back at her. "I hope to see some of your names on the application forms."

Mrs. Abel went on to discuss the guest lecturers we'd have the pleasure of being taught by throughout the year, including the renowned Miss. Maximoff, but I had already zoned out by then.

I knew one thing for sure: I had to get that internship.