Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

"Are you avoiding me?" Mav asks as he follows me into the kitchen. I slide the tray of glasses onto the bench and spin around. He closes the door behind him and walks over, closing the space between us.

"I haven't been avoiding you, I've just been busy."

Maverick rests his hands on either side of the steele counter, boxing me in. He crouches forward so his nose is almost touching mine. Mav's gaze bores into mine and his breath tickles my lips.

"Willow," he drags me name out with his silky voice. "I'm not in the mood for games right now."

"It's family weekend and I'm nervous about my parents coming to college." I sigh, dropping my gaze to the ground.

"Why?" He grasps my chin, angling my face up to look me in the eye.

"Because I haven't told them about you."

Mav frowns, his eyes turning a darker shade. I slide my hands over his tense arms before wrapping them around his neck.

"I'm sorry." I look up, fluttering my eyelashes.

"Why haven't you told them about me?" I drop my hands from around his neck and rest them on his chest. I slide them across the smooth fabric of his t-shirt.

"I've been busy with college, and then I've been taking care of Emalyn."

"Willow," he warns, his tone dry and unamused by my excuses.

I exhale a rough sigh and cover my face with my hands. Maverick grabs my wrists and pulls them aside.

"What was I supposed to say? I have a secret boyfriend because he's my roomates older brother who I also happened to have met and slept with in Italy? I can't actually date him because it's her only rule."

His lips quiver into a smirk.

"That's the first time you've called me your boyfriend."

"You're also my boss."

Mav's fingers weave between mine and he gently squeezes them for support. I run my thumb over his and kiss the back of his hand.

"Emalyn sort of makes things complicated," he comments. "She's always complicated things since she was little."

"I hate that I'm hurting you both." I frown.

Mav peppers kisses across my forehead, then envelops me in a warm, tight hug. I nuzzle my face into the crook of his neck and inhale his scent.

"You could bring them here for a drink and I can meet them as your boss."

"Why do you care about meeting my parents?" I mumble against his t-shirt.

He pulls back and shoots me a playful glare.

"Aren't my intentions clear, Willow? I want to meet my future in-laws." His comment has my heart soaring and my stomach filled with butterflies.

"Okay then, I'll suggest we come here for drinks. I'm sure they'll want to see where I work. I hope they don't sprout embarrassing stories."

"Thanks." He grins. "Besides, you've met my parents, I have a right to meet yours."

"Your parents don't know about me." I roll my eyes.

Mav shakes his head.

"I told them about you long before you met them, Willow. When I got back from Europe, I was in this heartbroken daze which they tried to pull me out of. Nothing they did worked. I told them about you, though. This beautiful, wild woman I met in the heart of Italy."