Chapter 12

There was once a boy, living beside a lake in bliss.

He was loved by all who knew him. Even animals treated him fairly.

The only one who disliked the boy was the boy himself.

He hated his own weakness.

When his father needed help digging he'd fall ill.

When he ran with the other boys he'd fall over and bruise his knee.

When he tried helping friend up a ladder he fell down and brought his friend with him.

He knew he was loved for his kindness, but also because he needed that love to be brought to the level of others.

He loathed himself for that. He wished to be more, to fly high above the world that trapped him.

However, one day, something splashed into the lake. It was torn up, a flaming ball of the unknown. From those flames a person floated to shore.

He was distinctly different yet distinctly the same, eyes pure red and hair emerald green. Another boy, suffering from drowning.

The weak boy did anything he could to save the other. For the first time he was entrusted with a life, and his will denied all thoughts of failure.

For once he manifested strength. The other boy was saved in body.

In mind he was astray. Upon looking at the flames he knew he had no home.

Therefore the weak boy offered him his. Thus the two would live together, despite what the other boys would say about the distinctness of one.

The distinct boy cried one day, so hard that the weak boy felt it in his heart.

The very next day he gained emerald hair and pure red eyes. He would be distinct together with the other boy. He restored his happiness and gave him love.

But, after two years, home finally called the other boy. While he was pained to leave he could not refuse his destiny.

The weak boy understood, wishing him well with a smile.

However, he cried as the other boy soared into the sky. He felt weaker than he had ever been in his entire life.

He would be haunted by that feeling for many years.

Until one night, on the brink of madness, he heard this.

"For my beloved I entrust these metal wings, so that though you may not remember me you may fly as you'd always hoped."

And so he flew. He never saw the other boy again, but the feeling of his guiding hand was enough for him to feel strength in his body.

So went the story of the first boy to display Qui abilities, though very few go through physical changes like color changing hair in present time. Messian scientists believed the other boy to be an alien of the humanoid variety and that the story is also of the first encounter between Messia and offworld life. It's been refashioned into both a children's tale and an academic volume to serve as a launch point into Qui theory.

Kimaira preferred the children's tale, though he'd never tell anyone that. The common rational thought was that the madness at the end of the story made the boy hallucinate the other to manifest his second ability, a grim thought. Kimaira preferred the sanitized tale, even keeping a copy in his office as decoration for his bookshelves. It was more for image than for reading but he did like to crack it open during trying times like these.