Chapter 1, Part 3: The Struggle

Luc had never been the strongest or fastest kid. He was better with his mind than with his fists, but in that moment, instinct took over. Without thinking, he swung his leg in a desperate kick, aiming right at the Smile's midsection. It was a kick that would have knocked a heavy guy off his feet, but the Smile barely budged. Instead, it tilted its head, that unnerving grin widening as if amused by Luc's attempt.

Panic surged through Luc as he realized that brute force wasn't going to save him. He turned and sprinted back toward his house, adrenaline fueling his steps. He might not have been the most physically capable, but he was one of the smartest kids in his school. He needed to think—fast.

Once inside, Luc slammed the door shut and darted into the kitchen. His mind raced as he grabbed two kitchen knives, one in each hand. His breathing was ragged, heart pounding as he backed up against the counter. The Smile was at the door now, pushing it open with eerie strength.

The door creaked as it slowly opened, revealing the Smile in the doorway, its head still unnaturally tilted. Luc didn't wait. As soon as it stepped inside, he lunged forward, driving both knives into its torso with all the force he could muster. The blades sank deep into its flesh, and the Smile let out a high-pitched shriek, the sound echoing through the small kitchen. The knives stayed firmly lodged in its body, but the creature didn't collapse. Instead, it staggered back, stunned by the sudden attack.

Luc's eyes darted around the kitchen, desperate for something—anything—that could give him an edge. His gaze landed on the fridge. He yanked it open and grabbed the first thing he saw—the bottle of orange juice he'd bought the night before. Without hesitation, he swung it at the Smile's head, the glass shattering on impact. The Smile stumbled back, a stunned look in its glowing eyes.

Just then, a loud banging echoed through the house as the Smile's back hit the wooden door. Luc seized the opportunity. He gripped the jagged remains of the bottle's neck, the glass cutting into his hand, and smashed it down on the Smile's head with all his strength. The Smile recoiled, its grin faltering for the first time. It wasn't invincible after all.

Blood dripped from Luc's hand as he pulled back, breathing hard. The Smile was still standing, but it was weakened, the eerie light in its eyes dimming. Luc wasn't sure how long it would stay down, but he knew he couldn't stop now. The fight wasn't over yet.

Luc grabbed a nearby wooden spoon and jabbed it into the Smile's eye, it didn't even flinch. Instead, its long, pale fingers reached out, snatching Luc by the throat. The grip was immediate, crushing, and he could feel his airway closing. Luc's vision blurred, the room around him spinning as he desperately clawed at the Smile's hand.

Before he ran out of air, Luc used what little strength he had left to pull one of the knives free from the Smile's torso. With a final burst of energy, he stabbed the creature again, plunging the blade deep into its flesh. The Smile howled, its grip loosening as it jerked back from the pain.

Luc gasped, collapsing onto the floor, gulping down air as stars danced in his vision. His entire body trembled, weak from the effort.

And then... everything went still

Luc froze, his breath catching as a low, mocking laugh began to resonate. It wasn't the sound that unnerved him, it wasn't the smile, and it wasn't coming from outside. It wasn't even his own.

The laughter crawled through his mind, sinister and alien, filling the empty spaces where his thoughts should be. It was then that he realized the voice wasn't external. There was a laugh, a dark, mocking presence, echoing within his own mind.

Then, everything went quiet.