Chapter 1, Part 1: The Beginning

Do you enjoy the life you have? How would you feel if, in an instant, your world was turned upside down, your daily routines fading into the past, and your dreams twisting into living nightmares? For Lucious Hallowell, this isn't just a question; it's his new reality.

Lucious Hallowell, who much preferred to be called "Luc," wandered through the narrow aisles of the small grocery store, his black hoodie pulled up to cover his head. The fluorescent lights overhead buzzed faintly, casting a dull light over the half stocked shelves. Luc's dark eyes moved over the prices, hoping to find something on sale that wouldn't drain his thin wallet. The routine didn't bother him, in fact, it gave him something to focus on besides the emptiness waiting at home.

The store was mostly empty, just the way he liked it. The only other person around was the bored looking cashier, flipping through a magazine at the counter. Luc had always been more comfortable in the background, avoiding the awkwardness that came with small talk or forced smiles. He grabbed a glass bottle containing orange juice, one of the cheaper brands, and turned it over in his hands, calculating whether it would last him through the week.

As he considered his options, a small TV behind the counter caught his attention. The news anchor's voice was serious, talking about some strange infection spreading in nearby cities. Luc had heard about it in passing, but he hadn't paid much attention. It was just another piece of bad news in a world full of it. He figured it was one of those things that happened to other people, far from his quiet life.

But then the screen flashed with images of people collapsing in the streets, others running in fear. A chill ran down Luc's spine as the news anchor mentioned the rapid spread of "Rictus Encephalopathy," the name of this infection. The virus was named for the eerie, unnatural grin it placed on its victims' faces. Many people, however, weren't taking it seriously—they mocked it as just a sickness that made people smile. Because of this, most people refer to it as "Smile's Disease" and for its victims, "Smiler". But Luc pushed the thought aside. It wasn't like anything like that would happen here, right? He grabbed the orange juice and moved toward the counter, trying to shake off the uneasy feeling that had settled in the pit of his stomach.

He paid for his groceries and stepped outside, the cool evening air hitting his face. The streets were quieter than usual, but Luc didn't think much of it. He started the short walk home, the news already fading from his mind as he planned out the rest of his night. He would just head home, have something to eat, and maybe try to catch up on some schoolwork.

But as he walked, he couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. The world around him seemed off somehow, like it was holding its breath. He quickened his pace, eager to get home and lock the door behind him, unaware that the infection he'd just seen on the news was much closer than he realized.

The House

When he arrived at his house, he unlocked the door and stepped inside, feeling a sense of relief at the familiar surroundings. His parents were overseas, and he had gotten used to being alone. Though their absence was a bit lonely, it was better than being yelled at for the smallest of things, it also meant he had the place to himself.

Luc set his groceries on the kitchen counter and glanced at the TV. The news was still on, showing more alarming updates about the infection. He sighed and turned it off, choosing to focus on his homework instead. He moved to the small desk in the corner of his room, where his English assignment awaited.

He sat down at his desk, pulled out his textbook and notebook, and started working. The assignment was straightforward, but Luc found comfort in the routine. He flipped through the pages, carefully answering each question. His pencil moved steadily across the paper as he took his time, making sure his answers were clear and detailed. Occasionally stretching his fingers to ease the strain from writing.

Once he finished, Luc closed his textbook and organized his papers. He felt a small sense of achievement. With the homework done, he hoped to keep his mind off the disturbing news from earlier. He tidied up his desk and put his school supplies away.

It wasn't until he checked his phone that the worry returned. A notification reminded him of the infection's spread. The headlines were more urgent, and the images were troubling. Luc read through the updates, and the reality of the situation started to sink in.

He stared at his phone, feeling a growing sense of anxiety. Despite trying to focus on his homework, the infection seemed to be moving closer to his world. Luc sighed, putting his phone down and trying to push the worry aside. He was determined to stick to his normal routine and not let the fear take over.

As he got ready for bed, he tried to convince himself that the infection was still far away and wouldn't affect his quiet life. But as he lay in bed, the day's news replayed in his mind. The silence of his house felt heavier, and the shadows seemed darker. Luc closed his eyes, hoping for a good night's sleep, though he couldn't shake the anxious feeling that something was coming