.☘︎ ݁˖ 00: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐁𝐞𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐠

"I believe our meeting was kismet—fate brought us together for a reason

"I believe our meeting was kismet—fate brought us together for a reason."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

𝐒𝐇𝐈𝐍 mindlessly stared at the door of Sakamoto's store, waiting for customers to arrive. He sat casually in the cashier's area, a lemon-flavored lollipop in his mouth instead of a cigarette, obediently following the 'No Smoking' rule of the family he had recently joined.

Mr. Sakamoto was currently out on a romantic date with his wife, Aoi, celebrating the anniversary of their first meeting. Meanwhile, Lu, the other employee, had gone to visit Hana's school and decided to stay there until the child finished her class before heading home. So, Shin was left alone to watch over the store.

He is bored. The villagers seemed quiet today, as they only popped in briefly. Using his ability, he discovered that most of the neighborhood had already bought their food earlie and had no reason to return anytime soon, especially with their stocks still full. As a result, his enthusiasm for managing his boss's shop had dwindled.

He sighed, tossed the lollipop stick into the nearby bin, and opened another—this time a green-flavored one. When he glanced up, he was caught off guard by the sudden presence of a stranger.

"What the—" he exclaimed, slightly taken aback. His senses were sharp, but he hadn't noticed anyone entering the store, let alone approaching him. Was this person one of those high-level stealthy assassins sent to eliminate them?

Instinctively, his fingers reached for the box cutter resting on the table, ready to strike. But then he heard her speak.

"Hello, do you have any cat food?"

The stranger's voice was surprisingly calm and feminine. Only then did Shin realize he was facing a woman. He quickly took a mental note of her appearance: average height and build, casual clothes, long hair tied in a high ponytail hidden by a cap, and a medical mask that concealed most of her face.

His grip on the box cutter remained firm as he assessed her. She clearly wasn't from their neighborhood, more like a complete stranger standing before him, looking distrustful and asking for... cat food?

"Huh? Cat food?" He asked, his voice tinged with surprise. Quickly shaking his head, he composed himself, cleared his throat, and spoke again. "We have some left. Do you want to buy?"

He watched her nod, then stood up from his chair, turning his back to her to test if she might attack. But nothing happened. Not even a hint of movement or bloodlust emanated from her. Still, Shin remained skeptical—it was better to be cautious than sorry. Was she really a customer? A spy? An assassin? While rummaging for cat food in the cabinet, he used his ability to read her mind.

"Cat food... cat food... hurry, hurry..."

Yep, she was just a real customer after all. Letting out a sigh of relief, he returned to the counter, hands occupied with the items she requested. "How many?"

"Can I buy all of them?" she replied.

"There are thirty-seven here."

"There's no problem. I'll take them all."

Shin placed all the cat food into a plastic bag, reminding himself to tell his boss, Mr. Sakamoto, to restock their supplies since a customer had bought them all. After stating the total price, he handed the bag to her, and their hands briefly brushed against each other. In that moment, he heard a voice in her mind.

"Just as I thought, Sakamoto-san's employee is a good guy..."

Shin's eyes widened in surprise. The stranger might not be a total stranger after all, she knew Mr. Sakamoto and even complimented him as a kind person. Who was this girl?

"You know us," he stated, not phrasing it as a question. He watched as she finally met his gaze, and the first thing that captivated him was the allure of her emerald eyes.

They sparkled like gems, glowing with an intensity that seemed to hold the mysteries of a deep, enchanted forest. Each glance felt like an invitation to explore the depths of her soul, filled with wonder and secrets waiting to be uncovered. He found himself momentarily lost in their vibrant hue, as if the world around him faded away, leaving only her and the mesmerizing green of her eyes.

"I do," she replied, her tone now laced with a hint of amusement. She bowed her head in gratitude and began to walk toward the shop's exit. "Please tell him that I visited."

Realizing she was already near the door, Shin hastily jumped out from behind the counter, eager to catch up to her. "Wait!"

The emerald-eyed stranger paused just before pushing the door, slowly turning her head to face him. She didn't say anything, merely waiting for his next words.

Shin didn't know why he had instinctively called out to her; it was as if he were drawn to her, magnetized by the beauty in her eyes. Now standing in front of the stranger, he blurted out with urgency, "What's your name? Who are you?"

At that exact moment, the strap of her medical mask snapped, revealing her full face. Shin's heart raced as he took in her angelic features: her delicate jawline, soft lips, and yet again those captivating emerald eyes that seemed to sparkle with life.

"Damn," he thought, momentarily lost in her beauty.

Noticing that her mask was now useless, the stranger opened the door. Her long hair swayed gently in the wind as she took one last look at him, a small, enigmatic smile gracing her lips.

"Hanami Rei, the apothecary," she said, her voice lingering in the air like a sweet melody.

And just like that, she vanished from his sight, leaving Shin standing in the doorway, bewildered and captivated by their fleeting encounter.