chapter one

The Kelsos' Kitchen.
Monday 17th May 1976.
5:39pm.

The last of the early-evening breeze wafted in through a large, open window, which was similarly carrying a ray of sunshine that spilled into the entirety of the kitchen. Perhaps that explained why the kitchen seemed brighter, with the orange accents appearing fluorescent as the sun bounced into the room. As the breeze delicately brushed the dark-brown ends of Charlene Kelso's hair, she thought to herself; this was definitely her favourite time of year. The transition of perpetual nurture and growth from spring into the vibrancy of life that summer sustains, always seemed to uplift her spirits.

She withdrew her smile however, when she began to bag the three sandwiches in front of her. She then sighed when she put them into the fridge. She only had to do this for two more weeks, she tried to tell herself. She exited her kitchen swiftly into the short entryway, shouting up the wide stairs.

"Michael!"

She then made her way back into the kitchen, beginning to clear away the crumbs the sandwiches had left behind.

The Kelsos' kitchen wasn't huge and grand by any means, but it wasn't exactly humble either. With a recent renovation, it was complete with a breakfast nook, granite countertops in a subtle green, and a top-of-the-range oven, which was weird, because Mother Kelso was never around enough to use it.

Quick thuds of the dumbest Kelso were heard and as he rushed down the stairs, and the girl turned to see her sibling.

"What's this about Charli 'cause I was in the middle of something!" Michael whined, his shaggy hair dancing across his face as he ran into the room.

"We need to go to Forman's, remember? It's nearly six." She reasoned, walking towards the sink to close the window that situated above.

A young girly voice screeched from behind the lanky teen, making Michael jump out of his skin.

"Michael! You didn't tell me you had plans."

A petite brunette stepped in front of Michael, the anger piercing through her big, blue eyes and her arms folding across her blue and white collared dress as the boy's face contorted into worry. His shoulders immediately curled down towards the height of the girl, and Charli immediately recognised her brother's on-off girlfriend.

"Jackie? When did you sneak in?" Charli's brows furrowed. Whilst she didn't entirely care about the whole ordeal, a little warning would have been nice.

"Never mind that, your brother is totally ditching me for that weirdo Eric!" Jackie stomped her foot.

"What? No!" Michael flicked his hand, smiling, trying to play it cool.

"To be honest Jackie, you wouldn't really be missing much," Charli sighed, glancing over at her brother's desperation. "Plus, it's just going to be more of his weirdo friends!"

"Well I'm not happy Michael! You really need to-"

The girl's earful was cut off by the appearance of yet another tall Kelso, only this one was half a decade older.

"Yeah, 'scuse me,"

Casey entered the kitchen, stepping around the couple, unimpressed with the quarrel. His hair was dull and a paler brown than his siblings' and his brown eyes wrinkled with pain. He walked slowly, like he'd had a long day at work, but straight over to his younger sister, setting down his car keys on his way.

"How's my little sister?" He asked softly, before bowing his head down to place a gentle kiss on the top of her head. Charli gladly accepted, leaning in to her brother.