Chapter five: Forgotten.
Stranger of the void
---

“Psst…hey…wake up….”

I heard a soft voice calling out to me.

“No…go away…”

I said, pulling the covers over my head. I knew the owner of the voice very well. But there was no way I was getting up in the middle of the night during the unforgiving summer heat of the city of Otaru, my birthplace.

C'mon….get up, Atsushi!”

That was the last thing I heard before my sister, Misaki pulled the covers off of me. She grabbed my right arm and pulled me up, making me sit upright on the futon.

“What do you want…? It's the middle of the night…”

I said, rubbing my eyes to see better. Without even a response, Misaki held my hand and helped me stand up.

“Let’s go! I wanna show you something!”

“Go where…? Wh-”

“Shh… don't make any noise. They might hear us.”

She said before dragging me out of our room. We carefully placed our footsteps, making sure that our parents didn't hear us.

Eventually, we made our way to the door leading to the backyard.

“Now Atsushi, close your eyes….”

I could practically picture my sister’s eyes light up in excitement when I did as she told me. I felt a hand grab my own and heard the sound of the door unlocking before I was pulled outside.

“…open your eyes now.”

I opened my eyes to a soft shimmer, blinking into the darkness. The night was quiet, save for the rustle of leaves swaying in the breeze, their whisper a lullaby. Then I saw them—tiny stars, flickering just above the earth, dancing in slow, delicate patterns.

Fireflies. Hundreds of them, maybe more.

Woah….”

I reached out my hand, hoping that one would land on it. To my surprise, it did. I could feel the earth beneath me, warm and familiar, yet this moment felt like another world. I felt like I was in a trance, my mind was completely taken over by the beauty of the firefly’s pulsating light.

“They're cute, aren't they?”

I heard Misaki’s voice say.

“….yeah…”

I just stood there for a moment, looking at the firefly in my hand.

Suddenly, I no longer felt the presence of Misaki's hand holding my own.

“…Misaki?”

...

...

...

...

I turned around.

No one.

“Huh? Misaki, where did you go?”

...

...

...

...

...

No response.