Chapter six: Inferno.
The Rabid Dog.
___

You had a sister, didn't you?”

All the blood drained from my face at once. Every cell of my body trembled in fear. My heart was pounding against my chest like a beast trying to break free from its cage. Nothing made sense. How does she know my name? How did she manage to get my phone number?

How does she know about Misaki? Misaki's true identity was never revealed to public! There's no way anyone except the authorities would know about my relation to her!

Why does she know about Misaki?!

“Hello?”

The voice received no reply. I was too overwhelmed by my thoughts and suspicions for my mouth to even utter a word.

“…hello?” She spoke once again, her voice pushing away my thoughts to acknowledge her.

“Oh, sorry.” I said, trying not to show any hint of fear or nervousness in my tone. Though, my efforts proved fruitless.

“I know what happened to her.”

“you…”

…you do?

YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO HER?! TELL ME, RIGHT NOW! PLEASE! I BEG OF YOU! I'LL DO ABSOLUTELY ANYTHING!

My mouth hung open, but no words came out. It felt as if my tongue had been cut off. It felt like I had been silenced. Silenced by a feeling which I didn't even know the name of.

Even the gods are against me, huh?

That's cruel.

“Ahem.” The woman cleared her throat to get my attention.

“If you wish to know more, I'll be waiting at the location sent to you. I expect you to be there at exactly at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow. Not a second earlier or later.”

“But wait I-”

The line silent. My hands were shaking, my body completely drenched in sweat. I didn't even have time to process the information I had just been given before—

ding!

—The sound of a notification caught my attention.

I hurriedly removed my phone from my ear and put in my password. After failing several times due to how badly every limb of my body was shaking, I finally managed to unlock it.

A message. From the same number.

–––

The next day, work went on as usual, except for the fact that I got ripped to shreds by the agency's manager. I was a new recruit after all, an easy target for them to prey on. I knew that would happen, I know heartless monsters like them better than anyone. Still, I was forced to just keep my head down and listen to the manager as he complained.

And honestly? I deserved it.

I knew it was stupid. I knew that I'm not good with handling alcohol. I shouldn't have agreed in the first place.

But still, trying to please everyone is better than coming off as a cocky bastard.

Though, that was the least of my worries. I had a meeting coming up with some clients that were apparently a pretty big deal in the entertainment industry.

The day went on as usual—organizing Miss Gin’s schedule, taking phone calls, writing emails and all of that.

___