5

5

Reina pulls up to Janelle's place that Sunday night, the sound of her engine cutting off in the driveway. She had a brown bag full of burgers from a fast food joint in one hand and a bottle of wine in the other. This was their routine, she and Janelle would catch up over food and wine like it was therapy.

Janelle opened the door with a smile, already in her comfy clothes, a big hoodie and pajama pants. "Rei, you read my mind. I was just thinking about grabbing something to eat."

Reina smirked, holding up the bag. "Got you covered. Burgers and fries, and I brought the wine."

They settled in at the dining table in Janelle's kitchen, the smell of food filling the space. The two of them unpacked the burgers and fries, letting out deep sighs like they'd both been waiting for this all day. Janelle grabbed two glasses and poured the wine as Reina plopped down in the chair.

"What's been going on?" Janelle asked, taking a bite of her burger.

Reina leaned back in her chair, a mischievous grin spreading across her face. "Girl, you would not believe the day I had."

Janelle raised an eyebrow, sipping her wine. "Sounds like a story."

Reina laughed, shaking her head. "For real. So, I went to the mall, right? Just minding my business, looking for something cute. Guess who I run into?"

Janelle shrugged, curious. "Who?"

"Cayde."

Janelle's eyes widened. "Cayde? Like, Chance's friend Cayde?"

"Yup. Him. Tall, sexy, kinda cocky but in that funny way."

Janelle shook her head, chuckling. "And what happened?"

Reina leaned in, her eyes twinkling. "We flirted."

Janelle almost spit out her wine, laughing. "Oh no, Reina. You didn't flirt with him!"

"Oh, I did. He's smooth, Nelle. Real smooth. Like, he wasn't even trying too hard, and that made it worse. We was going back and forth in the store, and I was just thinking, 'This dude is trouble.' But you know me, I like a little trouble."

Janelle shook her head, amused but also concerned. "Be careful with that one. I don't know if he's the settling-down type."

Reina rolled her eyes, taking a bite of her burger. "I ain't tryna settle down right now. We just having fun. But I'll admit, he did get me thinking."

"Oh really? What about?"

Reina sighed, leaning her elbow on the table. "It's just... I don't know. He's different. Like, I mean, don't get me wrong, he's still out there doing his thing, but with me, it felt... I don't know, like he was actually interested."

Janelle nodded, chewing on a fry. "So, what's your next move?"

Reina shrugged. "I don't know yet. I'm not rushing it. But we'll see where it goes. I think we might hang out again soon. He was talking about taking me somewhere where I don't gotta spend my own money."

Janelle chuckled, sipping her wine. "Sounds like he's tryna impress you."

Reina grinned. "Maybe. But enough about me. What about you?"

Janelle leaned back in her chair, letting out a deep breath. "Honestly? I've had better days. Work was rough the other day"

Reina frowned. "What happened? Was it the time I asked?"

"Yes. One of the employees at the dialysis center was on my neck, bullying me and making things harder than they needed to be. She even convinced the boss to let me go home early. I was so annoyed, but I just left quietly. You know how I am."