1

DHARA'S POV

The first light of dawn filters through the curtains as my alarm buzzes at 5:30 AM. I've always been an early riser, even as a kid. Stretching my arms above my head, I look over at the desk where my computer sits, a loyal companion since I was two. It's funny how my love for programming and gaming feels as natural as breathing, all thanks to Dad. His IT career in Delhi had introduced me to a world of logic, codes, and the thrill of solving complex puzzles. But today, my mind is focused on something else—first day of 10th grade.

I slip out of bed quietly, careful not to wake my younger sister, Anu. She's curled up under the blankets, her small face pressed against her favorite stuffed toy. Anu is the heart of our house—dad's little princess. Mom and Dad always call her "the star" of Dad's business since he started the women's clothing brand in her name after we moved to Jabalpur. He took a huge leap, leaving behind his steady IT job in Delhi for this, but he's always had that fearless streak. That's where I get it from, I guess.

My roots, though, are here. Both my parents are from Jabalpur. Mom always talks about the city like it's a living, breathing entity—its hills, rivers, and temples all woven into our family's history. She's the spiritual anchor in my life, always guiding me toward a deeper connection with the universe. She never misses a chance to remind me to trust in something larger than myself. But it was Dad who introduced me to Hanuman Ji. I don't know why, but ever since I can remember, Hanuman Ji felt more like a friend than a deity. Even when I was just two, I could recite the Hanuman Chalisa, and it amazed everyone. For me, it was never about impressing anyone—it felt natural, like talking to a close friend who's always there to protect me.

Downstairs, I hear the familiar clatter of utensils in the kitchen. Mom's voice, soft and steady, hums a morning prayer as she prepares breakfast. I get dressed quickly, slipping into my school uniform, and head down. The smell of fresh parathas fills the house, and I grab a couple, stuffing them into my mouth as I sit at the kitchen table.

"Morning, Mumma," I say between bites. "I can't believe it's the first day of 10th grade. It's going to be different without Tanishka and Diya in my section."

Mom looks up from her cooking, her eyes twinkling with that familiar warmth. "Change is always a part of life, Dhara. It's how we grow. You'll find that even without your close friends, you'll meet new people and learn new things. Remember, every new beginning is like a blank canvas. What you create with it is up to you."

"I hope so," I reply. "And sports... I'm really looking forward to getting back into track and field with Unnati. It's like she's the only one who can keep up with me."

Mom nods, placing a hand on my shoulder. "It's been a minute since she visited us....maybe call her over and tell her that i baked a new batch of brownies."

I finish my breakfast and give Mom a quick hug. "Thanks, Mom. I'll do tell her."

Dad is still asleep. He doesn't leave for work until 11 AM most days, so mornings are quiet in our house. After leaving the IT world behind, he's found a new rhythm with his business, and it's working well for him. But even as he built something new, he never lost touch with the things that matter—like the small shrine in the corner of our living room. Before I leave for school, I always stop there, folding my hands and closing my eyes. "Hanuman Ji, dhyan rakhiyega" I whisper, sending a silent prayer. It's become a part of who I am. I don't step outside without seeking his blessings.

As I get ready to leave, I grab my school bag and head toward the door. My cycle waits for me outside, glinting in the soft morning sun. The familiar hum of the city waking up greets me as I pedal toward school, the streets of Jabalpur bathed in a golden light. The first day of 10th grade—it feels like a fresh start. April is always about new beginnings, isn't it?

I think about the day ahead. New class, new faces, but no Tanishka and Diya, my closest friends. They're in different sections this year, which makes me feel slightly out of place. It'll be strange not having them around for our usual banter. But Unnati's still there—my partner in crime when it comes to sports. She's the only one who matches me on the field, and together, we're a force to be reckoned with. People even ship us together but in reality we're like "athletic bros," always in sync.

As I cycle through the streets, I can't help but feel a little bit of nervous excitement. This year will be different ,considering everything is starting again after 2 years of lockdown, I can feel it. But different doesn't always mean bad.

I push through the school gates, wish guard bhaiya a good morning which he returns with a chuckle and park my cycle, taking in the sight of the familiar building. "Here we go," I whisper to myself. A new chapter begins, and something tells me it's going to be an interesting one.

4o