Chapter 12.2 - Ira Vith (Part II)

Eiran froze for a moment before draping a cloak over him. Even though it covered his attire, the tattered cloak could not hide Neuvane's demeanor.

His index and middle fingers held the tips of Neuvane's hair, and the shears in his other hand trimmed it. He tried his best not to cut his own fingers. This was an unexpected opportunity. He could just thrust the shears into the base of his neck, twist them, and be done with it.

"Trivial, is it not?"

"I beg your pardon, Your Excellency?"

"Neutralizing me. You could thrust your shear into anywhere in my cervical region and it would be near impossible to miss major arteries or veins. Thrust with open shear to optimize tissue damage. Add simple twist to introduce air bubbles into my bloodstream and verify the result. It was the trivial solution, was it not?"

Those words sent his mind into turmoil. His shears movements froze. Not wanting to remain motionless for too long, Eiran pretended not to hear and continued cutting.

"Do you know the reason why the captain's cabin is at the aft? Because of the aft wind. The cabin is at the aft; therefore, we do not have to endure the stench from the rest of the ship. This was not the case when the Artifica engine was used as the propulsion system. The ship designs were entirely different then, and the captain's cabin was at the fore."

"Certainly, Your Excellency. Indeed." Eiran's thoughts were in such disarray that he sometimes found himself just cutting the air. Was his disguise uncovered, or was Neuvane just making conversation?

After a moment of silence, Neuvane spoke again, "Do you know who I am?"

"Certainly, Your Excellency. You are Neuvane Krio." He felt that pretending to focus on cutting hair was the safest course of action.

"Then, do you understand who I am?"

Eiran answered that he was the chief researcher of Terzion's Artifica. That his role was irreplaceable. He was also the only person in the present era worthy of the title Artificier.

"Many have come to the conclusion that neutralizing me would terminate Terzion's Artifica project. However, that is only a partial solution. The Emperor is no fool; he trains his own Artificiers, and they are on the verge of operating without my supervision. My expertise is not as irreplaceable as it once was."

"Certainly not, Your Excellency. Your services–"

Neuvane pointed to his sideburns. "Shave it all off. Continue with your story."

"Whenever the Emperor conquers a region, you are dispatched to document the ancient facilities within and assist with their destruction."

"Not all facilities are destroyed outright. Some contain vital components, which I extract prior to the demolition."

"A wise decision, Your Excellency."

"I am not a subordinate of the Emperor in the strictest definition. Years ago, the Emperor sought an Artificier to initiate his Artifica project. He required my expertise, and I, in turn, needed his resources for my Umbra research. Our association is based upon mutual necessity. Stop, not so short."

Eiran stepped back, gripping his scissors. At this distance, he was sure he could stab him.

The Artificier looked at him. "You still think of neutralizing me. DO NOT. The Wraiths are faster."

"Your Excellency, you misunders–"

"I am not his dependent factor anymore. After Kargadin fell, I began gathering Artifica components. Sailing from there under the pretext of addressing Isofean ancient facilities, my projected destination, however, was Arvane. Along the way, I deviated and made a stop at Fhon. That was the point at which our paths intersected, correct?"