Chapter 1

CHARLOTTE

"Last ten!" I can feel the burn and fatigue setting in. "Five... Four..." slowest seconds of my life, I struggle to push for one more "three... Two... One! Well done everybody!"

I drop the weighted bar to the ground. I grab my towel that's on the floor and wipe at my hands and face. Then I grab my drink bottle and take a gulp of the sweet, cold drink.

"Ok anyone that needs to rush off go ahead, everyone that's staying lets go through a cool down" Emma turns the music down and puts on a more relaxing playlist. She starts to demonstrate stretches at the front of the class and we all copy.

I've been coming to this gym for two years now. I know the classes that I like and push myself with the weights. I've gotten to know some of the trainers here which makes it a very friendly atmosphere for me. They have helped me gain so much from friendly conversations and tips.

"Ok, stand up on your feet" Emma then demonstrates another stretch. One where we reach down to touch the ground while our legs stay straight. I notice she moves to walk around the room, behind me and back around to the front.

"Slowly bring yourselves back up. Thank you everyone. See you next week" she finishes her class off and sticks around at the front.

Everyone puts their weights and equipment away. I hold back to avoid the rush, leaving me alone with Emma when I finally stack my weights in the rack.

"You're a machine, Charlotte" she smiles, helping me put my bits away.

"Thanks. Good class today. I really enjoyed it" I say to her.

"I thought I would switch it up a bit. Make it a bit more challenging" she says back.

"Yeah it was challenging. I'll be feeling it tomorrow" I say rubbing at my shoulders, already feeling the ache.

"Ah you'll be ok. Look at where you've come since you started." She looks me up and down.

I glance into the mirrors that are all across one of the walls in the studio room. I have gained definition and muscle in my arms and legs since pushing myself. I am pleased with where I am.

"Thanks, I owe it to you and the other guys though. I've learned a lot from you all." I got to give credit where it is deserved, I wouldn't have been able to do this without that help.

"Are you sticking around?" She asks, leaning against one of the walls.

"No I can't today. Class only unfortunately. I have some work to do now" I answer, genuinely disappointed I can't stay, it feels like a good workout day today.

"Sometimes that's just how it goes. At least you got the class in" she shrugs.

"Yeah that's true. Plus you pushed us that makes up for a shorter workout" I smile at her.

"Oh then you're welcome" she jokes.

"Thanks Emma. I'll see you tomorrow, I better get showered up" I hug her and walk out of the studio, towards the changing rooms.

It doesn't take me long to get showered up and changed into my work gear. Pocketed work trousers, a white polo shirt which hugs my arms and honey coloured boots. I spray my aftershave on and pull my hair back before putting a cap over the top. I shove all my gym clothes and wet towel into the duffel bag. I pull my phone out and search for the address of my customer. Once I set the sat nav up I head out of the changing rooms and through the gym floor.

I get a few double looks, some from guys either appreciating a lady in work wear or judging me. Some looks are from the women, mostly those that like their women in work gear. They look me up and down while failing to carry on with the exercise they were doing.