Chapter 8

CHARLOTTE

It's been a week since my intervention with Georgia and Emma. I have stayed clear of alcohol, which has been really hard. I have always found it a good way to forget and numb myself. I've even stopped calling up some of my regular no attachment one night stands.

Georgia has been checking in on me regularly through the days with texts or calls. Then in the evenings if she has been out and gets back late when I'm in bed she comes in and lays with me chatting for a bit. She has helped me out a lot. I'm so grateful she has stuck by my side.

Then my trips to the gym have been getting back on track with routine. Emma always comes over and goes through different workouts with me. I always leave feeling much more on a high.

It's now Wednesday evening and me and Georgia are heading out to a quiz night at one of the bars down the road from us. Just something to get a change of scenery. We did invite Emma as well but she obviously has Zoe to look after. Why Matt can't look after her for an evening is beyond me.

We walk through the doors of the busy bar, looking around we eventually find a couple of empty seats tucked down the back. I head over to the bar to get us a drink. Georgia has said I can have a drink this evening. But to be honest I don't really fancy it, I'm quite happy staying free of it for a while. Ordering Georgia a wine and myself a lemonade & lime, I take our drinks back over to our seats.

A guy comes over handing us a quiz sheet and pen. We write our team name up the top, we are calling ourselves "let's get quizzical". While waiting for the questions we just chat and scan the crowds having a laugh while people watching.

"Three o'clock, definitely a mistress and her business man lover" Georgia says tapping my arm.

I slyly take a sip of my drink while I look over to where she's said and nearly spit my drink out across the table. No way! It can't be! I stand and head over in that direction, needing to get a closer look. Just to be sure. It is, one hundred percent! Matt, with a blonde twenty something year old.

She's hot, but compared to Emma. Emma is definitely the better catch. I can see Matt's hand on her thigh as he whispers something into her ear. The young girl giggles and leans her body in closer to his.

Other than suggestive body language there's nothing concrete to suggest he is being a dirty cheating bastard. Returning to my seat Georgia gives me a strange look. Leaning towards her I keep my eyes on Matt.

"That's Emma's husband" I say.

"No!"

"If he makes a move I need a picture and I'll confront him. I never got a good vibe from him".

"What would you say to him? Should you even get involved?"

"This isn't fair on Emma. He has a child as well. Why isn't he at home with his family? What a dick!" The anger bubbles up in me.

The quiz starts but I can't concentrate on anything other than Matt. Georgia keeps looking over as well. No moves have been made but there's definite flirting. I pull my phone out under the table secretly so the quiz master doesn't turn attention to us. I pull Emma's name up on the screen. We have been texting quite a bit over the past week, mostly she has been checking in on me.

My message: Hey! How's your evening?

I want to find out where she thinks Matt is. I know what it feels like to be the one cheated on and it's rough. She's in a whole different place than I was though, they are married and have a child.

Emma's reply comes quick: it's ok, Zoe is in bed. Im just watching some trashy tv. You?

My reply: Me and Georgia are at a pub quiz. What trashy tv you watching? Matt with you?