Reunited and it Feels so Good

I don't own either RWBY or DC Comics. They are owned by their respective companies, Viz Media and Warner Brothers.

Welcome to my newest story. A series based on my Tumblr posts of the same name.

————————————————————

"I'm really glad we get to do this," Jessica said. She couldn't contain her excitement, as in the moment, she jumped up to wrap her arms around his neck. "I just... Oh, I can't believe you're actually here! That we finally got to meet each other for real, in person!"

"Me too, Jessica," he let out a small laugh. "Earth is... so different, but it's also kind of similar to Remnant in some ways."

"I know what that's like," she smiled mirthfully. Memories of strange and exciting new worlds came to the forefront of her mind. "Traveling the galaxy, I get that same feeling whenever I'm on a new planet.

"It's not just that," Jaune said, "it's... I was... in a bad place," was all he could muster. "Both figuratively, and literally." How could he even begin to relay his own ordeal to her? She didn't have to know just how close to the edge he was, she didn't deserve that burden.

"I just think it's... comforting, knowing that there's a sense of familiarity."

Jaune found it difficult to open up to his friends about his time in the Ever After. They'd fought side by side through some of the toughest events in recent history for Remnant. But that was just it. It was recent history for Remnant — a lifetime ago for him.

His lifetime.

He'd spent more time in the Ever After than he had on Remnant. He had his reservations about going to another world again, but seeing other humans - actual people - it put him at ease a bit.

Jessica takes Jaune's hand in hers and gives it a firm, but gentle, squeeze. Their eyes lock briefly before Jessica looks down somberly.

"I... know what that's like, too."

Now it was her turn to remember. The isolation. The uncertainty. The overwhelming dread she felt for over a year knowing every day could have been her last. She could have died, lost and alone in deep space where no one would know she was gone. A yellow light filled her memories now, making the green ring on her finger feel heavier for the briefest of moments.

Jaune squeezed back. "Do you want to talk about it?"

And just like that, her ring felt lighter. Having him here with her brought back more recent memories – stronger memories – of encouragement, determination, and above all, contentment. She wanted to be more open with herself, and with Jaune. She was a member of the Green Lantern Corps. The ring had chosen her for a reason. Jaune helped remind her of that.

She couldn't change what happened, but she could move forward. One day, she would be ready to tell him. And maybe, one day, he'd do the same.

"... Maybe another time. I'll tell you about something called the Sinestro Corps. But what do you want to do?"

Before he could ponder on what he wanted to know and experience about Earth, Jaune was interrupted by a loud growling coming from his stomach. "Well, I am kinda hungry. Maybe you could show me what Earth food is like?" That made Jessica giggle. It's easy to forget that, to Jaune, Earth is still a completely alien world, even if he is also human.

"Well, what kind? We've got Italian, Mediterranean, Chinese, Indian, Korean Barbecue," she listed off all the different cuisines she knew, thinking about which one he would like in this strange and exciting new world.

"Uhh... I didn't know there were so many options, heh." Jaune had not been prepared.

"Earth is a big place. Lotta different cultures and ethnicities with their own foods. So what'll it be?" Jessica asked.

Jaune didn't say anything for a moment. Then an idea came to him. "What about yours? I mean, what kind of foods from your culture do you like?"

Jessica smiled. "Okay, Mexican food it is. C'mon, I wanna know what you think of tacos."