31: Ignorance Is Bliss

Song for this chapter
Rumors - Sabrina Claudio, ZAYN

Two weeks had passed since the kitchen incident between Fred and Sophia. Since then, she had firmly drawn a line between them, just as she had done in the past. Whenever she thought things were getting better, they somehow ended up getting worse. This was her final year at Hogwarts, and she didn't want to end it on bad terms with anyone, least of all with Fred. She had shared many moments with him—moments that drove her insane—and she no longer trusted herself around him. Anytime they were alone in a room, she would make a swift exit. She resorted to ignoring him, acting as though he wasn't even there, but it was becoming increasingly difficult. The tension between them didn't go unnoticed either; Sirius watched the two like a hawk.

They had spent most of their days cleaning the House of Black. When they weren't cleaning, Sophia would bury herself in books or search for new recipes for potions that might cure her father's condition. Sirius, ever eager to share stories about the Order, often kept her company while her father was away on Order business for hours on end.

Later that evening, another Order meeting was set to take place in the house, and, as always, the children were instructed to stay in their rooms. However, the kids had a few tricks up their sleeves. With the help of Fred and George's Extendable Ears, they were almost always able to eavesdrop on the Order meetings. Initially, Sophia would scold them for how rude it was to listen in, but eventually, her curiosity got the better of her, and she started joining them.

Sophia stood close to Fred—it had been a while since she'd been in such close proximity to him. He glanced at her from the corner of his eye before turning back to his brother and the girls, untying the Extendable Ear so they could listen in on the meeting. All they could make out was a lot of aggressive whispering.

"Sophia, I think that's your—"

"Shh! Let me listen, Ron."

Sophia moved even closer to Fred as they shared the Extendable Ear, straining to hear what was being said. She could discern a woman's voice, sharp and angry, speaking to her father. Sirius was also responding, equally agitated.

"You stay out of this!" the woman snapped at Sirius. Sophia could almost picture the furious look on his face. She didn't understand what was going on; she had heard several meetings before, but nothing like this had ever happened. Maybe this was someone new, someone she hadn't met yet—her father had always been eager to introduce her to every member of the Order. Fred watched as Sophia's face contorted with worry; he knew how sensitive and protective she was when it came to her father.

"How long are you going to hide it from her, Remus? Do you really think she's never going to find out?" the woman continued. The kids exchanged confused glances. Who was she talking about? What secret was Remus hiding? Whatever it was, Sophia didn't care; she couldn't stand anyone speaking to her father like that. Fred placed his hand on her arm as he noticed her knuckles turning white from gripping the banister so tightly.

"You will keep her out of this," Remus replied, his tone calm and steady.

"Keep her out of this? Afraid of what she might think of her father when his dirty little secret is revealed?" the woman retorted. That was the last straw. Sophia turned on her heel, and before anyone could stop her, she was already marching down the stairs.

"Sophia, no!" Hermione whisper-yelled, but Sophia was too angry to care. Fred reacted quickly, and instead of running after her, he Apparated in front of her, causing her to stumble slightly.