chapter 8

لو أننى أقول للبحر ما أشعر به نحوك لترك شواطئه وأصدافه واسماكه وتبعنى

I stared at the note Zara passed me during class in confusion. It had arabic scrawled all over it. I know I used to live in an Arab country before I moved here, but arabic was never one of my strengths. I lifted an eyebrow at her, wherein she winked and motioned for me to flip the page.

"If I had told the sea
what i felt for you
It would have left it's shores
It's shells
It's fish
And followed me."

Biting my hand to keep from laughing out loud, I glanced at my smooth friend who blew me a kiss.

Ah, how times have changed.

Yes, you heard me right. I called her my friend. Also, yes; I am in fact physically capable of laughing (more or less).

If I were to be honest with myself, I've actually grown quite fond of Zara. I can barely imagine surviving a day in school without her. Even Isah is turning out to be mildly tolerable these days.

Who am I and what have I done with Emaan Ali?

Honestly though, having people care about you, talk to you, tolerate your crap.. It felt...nice. It warmed my cold, hard, nonexistent heart.
...

I was so lost in my thoughts that I didn't notice the flouncy human fluff ball waving her hand in front of my face.
"I know you're fantasizing about me babes, but right now we need to get to English class." she winked.

Giving her an exasperated look, I proceeded to collect my belongings and followed her out the door; all the while, a faint smile playing across my lips.
.....

"Hey Emaan. Knock knock."

"Go away, Isah."

"knock knock"

"No."

"knock knock knock knock"

"...."

"KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK KNOC-"

"UGH FINE. Who's there?!"

"Orange."

"Orange who?"

"Orange you gonna let me in?"

I repeatedly hit my head against the table while the imbecile with the torturously painful sense of humour cackled away in the background.

Zara just shook her head as she continued to take a bite out of the sandwich they served for lunch today.
"the food they serve here is gross."
"your face is gross, Isah."
"Say ma sha Allah."

Honestly, I'm quite impressed that Zara managed go finish the entire thing without any of it smothered across Isah's face.

........................

A/N:
Assalamu alaikum everyone! I know my consistency in updating is ridiculous. I apologise. *hides*

In Sha Allah ,I'll be more regular from now on. Atleast one update a Week .please bear with me and don't give up on me yet, heh.

Oh, and yes. The arabic poetry is an excerpt from the work of Nizar Qabbani. Beautiful lines, Ma Sha Allah. :')

-NIHAN (who is a girl )

P.s. WHY ARE NONE OF THE EMOJIS IN MY A/N NOT SHOWING *cries*