8. A Traitor Among Us

Ayşe Sultan

The relationship between Hadassa, or Malhum - as I knew her - and I grew stronger every day. We shared moments in the library, we ventured together and she quickly learned my tastes and daily routines. However, there was something important that I had not yet revealed to her, something I wanted to share with her: the arrival of my brother, who was away on a trip.I decided to welcome my brother with her at my side, and I knew that Malhum understood my wishes just by looking at me.

 I asked her to cover herself with a veil, and together we headed towards the government area of ​​the palace, where my father and the princes resided.

Murad was an imposing figure, tall and corpulent, with the penetrating gaze of someone who is used to leading on the battlefield. His features, although similar to mine because they were twins, stood out for an intensity that reflected his passionate temperament.

As we approached, I could notice the mischievous glint in his eyes, so characteristic of him. His mischievous smile and confident demeanor made it clear that he enjoyed his position as the prince of the empire. Despite his serious, warlike appearance, his presence radiated a magnetic charm that did not go unnoticed.

"Ayşe, my dear sister!" he exclaimed joyfully as I ran towards him."I have missed you so much. How many financial disputes have you had without me?" We hugged each other tightly, and as we laughed, I noticed his gaze subtly shift to Malhum, who stood by my side.

- "And this must be the famous Malhum," Murad said with a mischievous glint in his eyes, "It's a pleasure to meet you. Ayşe never stops talking about you in her letters"

-. Malhum replied politely, but I could sense a spark of caution in his eyes as they exchanged words.

Murad continued talking animatedly with me, sharing anecdotes of his travels and adventures, but I couldn't help but feel a growing tension in the air.

I remembered a moment from our youth, when my brothers were in love with the same maid and were about to fight. I intervened and our father gave us a lesson I never forgot: the importance of brotherhood above all else. That teaching echoed in my mind as I watched my brother and Malhum.

- What do you know about our mother and Selim? – I asked my brother, to ease the tension.

- You know very well that if we don't write to Selim he won't write to us, not in vain did Mom go with him to the province. – Although we all know that Mom left because my father doesn't stop hanging out with the maids and adores his favorite.

 - I passed around the province, but he did not come to meet me, excusing himself by saying that he was out hunting, instead my mother sent me provisions for the journey.

Although I was consumed inside by the possibility that they might have a meeting, I remembered that brotherhood was stronger than anything else, and I held on to that certainty as we prepared to leave for the hunting lodge.

Malhum

We were standing there in front of the Sultana's brother and heir to the throne, but I felt uncomfortable. The prince's persistent gaze towards me was disconcerting. Although for many maids being the object of a prince's interest was a dream, for me it meant nothing. Born a Jew, the idea of ​​being an Ottoman concubine did not fit into my worldview. Although the prince was handsome, an exact copy of Sultana Ayşe, in a way my type was Ayşe's personality, what attracted me to her, her humility and her warmth.

- I shouldn't think this! Surely if my Sultana were a prince she would be suitable for me - I said in my head

The Sultana after exchanging many words with her brother ordered the eunuchs to pack up to go to the hunting palace, her authority was evident but not arrogant, she radiated humility in every word.

- Please Malhum make sure everything is ready. - whispered my Sultana

During the carriage ride, Ayşe continued to talk animatedly with me while in the other carriage were the prince and the sultan, and in the third, the sultan's sister and Sultan Canzu's favorite. Soon, Ayşe began to yawn and for the first time, I saw her falling asleep. Without hesitation, I sat beside her and placed her head on my shoulder so that she could rest better. Although she seemed to realize what I was doing, she soon gave in to sleep and fell asleep on my shoulder.

Ayşe Sultan

I watched Malhum blush, her gaze melting my being. She was beautiful, and I couldn't take my eyes off her. However, our journey was interrupted when someone called for a break.

 We continued admiring the scenery until we reached the majestic hunting palace, which was about three hours by carriage from the capital.

My father and brother descended imposingly, followed by the other sultanas. Finally, we got out of the carriage, placing the veil back on our faces, and I noticed Malhum admiring the scenery in rapture. It was a moment of peace, pure air surrounding us, on these walks we could forget a little about our position, we could be more human.

After the luggage was unloaded and we settled in, my father revealed the real reason for our journey. There was a traitor among us, a threat that we had to deal with urgently. The gravity of the situation forced us to remain united and vigilant.Apparently they could be our enemies from decades ago again: the Persians.