Episode 20: A Realization

Josh lay on his hotel bed, staring at the ceiling. For the first time in what felt like forever, his mind wasn’t occupied with battle strategies, magic techniques, or guns. Instead, one thought dominated his usually calm and tactical mind: Maiku likes me?

He frowned, replaying the events of the last few days in his head. Maiku’s strange behavior, her glances, the way she spoke to him—had it all been hints? He had always been clueless when it came to romance, but this? This was a whole new territory for him.

“Could she really like me?” Josh muttered to himself, scratching his head. His superhuman battle instincts couldn’t help him here. “Is this what Don was talking about? Heart-shaped grenades?”

He let out a deep sigh. “This is going to be more complicated than any fight…”

---

**The Beach Day Begins**

Later that day, the five friends gathered on the island’s sun-drenched beach. The sand was warm under their feet, the ocean waves lapping gently against the shore. Josh, Don, Maiku, Faye, and Saye had come prepared, decked out in beachwear and carrying supplies for a day of relaxation.

Josh walked ahead, wearing his usual neutral expression, but inside, he was still contemplating his newfound realization about Maiku. His thoughts were interrupted when he spotted her walking towards him, wearing the blue bikini she had picked earlier.

Maiku smiled confidently, but there was an underlying tension. Today was the day. She wasn’t going to be subtle anymore—subtlety clearly wasn’t working on Josh.

As she approached, Josh, still awkward with words, blurted out, “You’re showing a little too much skin.”

Maiku stopped, her heart skipping a beat, but instead of getting flustered, she narrowed her eyes playfully and shot back, “For you, and you only.”

Josh froze. That was definitely not the response he had been expecting.

*For me?*

Suddenly, things got real. Josh didn’t know what to say, his brain scrambling to process her words. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out. He was *completely* thrown off guard.

---

**Faye’s Sabotage Begins**

Faye, having been watching from a distance, noticed the tense moment between her brother and Maiku. Her eyes widened in alarm. *Oh no, it’s happening!*

Without thinking twice, she rushed over to intervene. As Maiku leaned in closer to Josh, clearly ready to say more, Faye appeared out of nowhere and plopped down right on Josh’s lap.

“Josh! The sand is so hot, don’t you think?” Faye chirped, cutting Maiku off mid-sentence. She looked up at her brother with wide, innocent eyes, completely ignoring Maiku’s death glare. “It’s burning my feet!”

Josh blinked, slightly relieved by Faye’s sudden presence, though confused as always. “Uh… yeah, I guess.”

Maiku clenched her fists but quickly composed herself. She wasn’t going to give up that easily. “So, Josh, about what I was saying—”

“Josh!” Faye interrupted again, grabbing his arm. “Did you bring sunscreen? I totally forgot to pack mine! Can you help me out?”

Josh, as dense as ever, nodded. “Sure, no problem.”

Maiku’s eye twitched. Faye was being *way* too obvious, but Josh didn’t seem to notice.

---

**Round Two: Maiku Strikes Back**