Ch. 12: The Darkest Hour

"This is it Vlad! Let the countdown begin!" The Count rejoiced. Everyone gathered around for Vlad's birthday. Even Sally and George were there. "

5! 4! 3! 2! 1!" They all exclaimed. 

"Happy birthday Vlad." Anna said, putting a loving hand on his shoulder. 

"All hail the Chosen One!" The Count exclaimed and everyone popped their poppers. 

"Don't forget to make a wish." Sally said. Vlad leaned over his cake, shaped like the number 18, and blew out his candles. As soon as the last one went out, lightning struck and thunder rang out. Vlad looked up with red eyes and baring his fangs. 

"I need blood!" He hissed. Sally and George stepped back and Vlad lunged for Anna. She screamed and kicked as his fangs pierced her neck. Her acid-like blood didn't affect him.

 Nothing affected him anymore.

Vlad awoke from his nightmare in a cold sweat. "Rise and shine, sleepydead. The day is almost done, the sun is being booed off the stage and the moon is waiting in the wings to sing you happy birthday, Vlady." The Count burst into his room and said, feeling sentimental. 

"It's doesn't feel like my birthday. It feels like I'm going to my own funeral." Vlad replied. 

"Well I just put that down to waking up in a coffin. Oh come on, you should be excited! Soon you'll acquire powers that the rest of us lesser immortals can only dream of." The Count said.

 "What if I don't want those powers?" Vlad asked. 

"Well, although you're called the Chosen One, you don't, in fact, have a choice." The Count replied.

"So, in your nightmare, you bit me?" Anna asked as she set up final decorations. 

"I think I killed you. You have to stay away from me tonight. And take Sally and George with you." Vlad replied. 

"Vlad, it was only a dream. It's not real, it's not going to happen." Anna assured him, putting a comforting hand on his shoulder. He looked at her hand, having a flashback to his dream. 

"We don't know that. What if I turn into a blood-thirsty monster at midnight?" Vlad asked in worry. 

"It will be fine, Vlad. You're stronger than that." She assured him. Then she pulled him in for a hug and he looked in worry at her neck.

"Hello Anna, sorry to tell you, but it ended up not working out with the cake you suggested so I made this one." Sally said as she helped them out of the car. Anna looked to see the cake Vlad described in his dream. She became uneasy. 

"That's fine, Sally. It looks great. Did you make it yourself?" She asked. 

"Yes." Sally replied. 

"Well done. It looks quite nice." Anna said and walked them inside. When they got inside they found that everyone else was already there. Vlad was getting ready and it was their first time seeing him in his new suit. 

"Vlad!" George exclaimed. 

"It's good to see you!" Vlad said with a smile. Anna walked over to him while the Count walked up to Sally.