Ch. 2: Who's The Daddy?

"You want me to do what? Renfield, I can't see Vlad. I'm grounded, remember?" Anna called Renfield on the phone. 

"He's got a cold. I can't find a cure and the Count has asked for your assistance." Renfield explained. 

"A cold? Renfield, just go to the store for that stuff." She said. 

"No one can know that Vlad has a cold. It has to be you." He begged. Anna hesitated and then groaned. 

"Fine. I'll see what I can do." She said and hung up. She walked out of her room and went to talk to her mom. "Mom, can I hang out with Jenny?" She asked. Jenny was her neighbor down the street. 

"Right now?" She asked. 

"Yeah." She said. 

"Okay. But be back by dark okay." Camille said. 

"Got it." Anna nodded and walked out. She walked all the way to the store and purchased cold medicines. Then she had to catch a taxi to Garside. She almost thought she wouldn't make it back home by nightfall.

"I'm so glad you're here. Do you have the cold cure?" Renfield asked when he answered the door. 

"It's not a cure but it will dull his symptoms while his body fights off the infection." She explained. 

"No, we need a cure." He said. 

"This is the closest you've got." She said. He sighed and led her to Vlad's room. "Won't he be surprised to see me?" She asked. 

"I thought he would like to see you." Renfield said. She faltered. "Wait. You can't give him the medicine like that, he'll know what it is." He pointed out. 

"He's never even seen human medicine." She said. 

"But he knows what my medicine looks like. Come with me, I'll get you a cup to put it in." He said. While they walked, the school shook. 

"What was that?" She asked. 

"Master Vlad must have sneezed." He replied.

Anna went into Vlad's room and saw the Count in there. "Finally! Do you have the cure?" He asked.

"Something like that." She said and rushed to Vlad's side. 

"Hey, Vlad, drink this." She urged. 

"Anna, what are you doing here?" Vlad asked between coughs. 

"They thought you would like to see me. Renfield told me to give this to you." She said and urged him to take the cup. He leaned forward and she tilted the cup to his mouth. He drank it but immediately coughed and gagged at the taste. 

"That's horrid!" He exclaimed. It made sense since he's never tasted Breather medicine. 

"I'm sorry but, Renfield also told me that it has to be taken in multiple doses for it to work. And, since he's just come up with it, he doesn't know how long it will be to take effect." She informed them both.

"Are you saying I had a cold?" Vlad asked Renfield when he slipped up. Renfield stopped talking and walked off. "Colds are for Breathers." Vlad said to his dad. 

"Exactly, ignore the numbskull, he doesn't know what he's talking about. You had a.. temporary indisposition." The Count replied. 

"Temporary indisposition?" Vlad asked.