Proposal Interruptus

Andy

Andy

Relationships are hard. 

I know this. 

What I forgot is that proposing is even harder. 

Sure, your relationship is in a constant state of change. You weren't the same person you were when you started the relationship, and you won't be the same person when it ends. I get that. 

I've even proposed before, but my ex had chosen the ring and told me how she wanted to be proposed. It made doing it very easy. 

(To be honest, that should have been my red flag, but you know, hindsight is twenty/twenty.)

Leia, however, has not dropped a single hint on how she dreamed of being proposed to or even what her ring looked like. Granted she has changed from girlfriend to mother and the priorities are different but still, I assumed she had talked about it to her friends. 

You know how to spell assume right?

Now I'm panicking.  I want to have the perfect proposal for my queen.  She deserves something special and spectacular after everything that she has been through. I want it to be something that she tells our grandchildren one day. I want her ring to be something we pass down from mother to daughter (or son). I want it to be the symbol of the infinite love we have for each other. 

No pressure whatsoever. 

But first things first, I must find it. 

You know what else is hard: asking your best friends to go ring shopping with you.  Because your best friends are probably useless in choosing jewelry. Luke has it easier.  While he didn't have a clue on the how, he did have an idea on the ring. And Miranda loved the ring he picked out. 

But my girl, my queen, hasn't dropped a hint. Nothing. Zip. Nada. And that is how I find myself in a boutique jewelry store in Boston with five other hulking hockey players.  The salesperson seems overwhelmed with the number of men in one store. I really had only meant to bring Luke. But that somehow turned into bringing Luke, David, Brad, Jeremey and Linus.  The salesperson has a selection on rings out, but nothing seems to catch my eye. 

I know I wanted something that would be classic but unique as well. I see like 30 rings but none of them scream "Leia". I'm starting to feel defeated when a soft glimmer catches my eye. I move to the case, leaving the others arguing the merits of each ring. "Can I see that one?" I point to the ring. 

"This is an antique," she starts. "It's a 1.5 karat light blue diamond, lab created. Its set in a halo and surrounded by a half karat of diamonds and along the band set in rose gold. It has a matching double band in smaller blue and white diamonds." I studied the ring, and I can see it on her hand. The color almost matches Avery's eyes. My princess has blue green eyes, and the diamond reminds me of them.