Episode 1: Stand Alone

Chapter 1:

The world is covered by a blanket of darkness. The sun, which warms the faces of those who care to grace its presence, has retired to its nightly slumber, leaving the earth void, and quiet. In Texas, the only illumination that remains, is the soft gentle glows of candlelight and the warm shine of lamps. The state that during the day, is a champion of life, work, and play, during the night, becomes a soft whisper of peace. Nobody stirs except for those in the cities which are far off.

In a warm cabin on a quiet ranch, contemplation and reflection have commandeered the mind of Michael Winters. The rotting carcass of war has stank his soul, and its blade has destroyed his body. His auburn hair, once shimmering in the sun, is now faded and thin. His face, wrinkled from stress, and his eyes, cold and empty, stare out the window into the pitch-black nothingness outside. As he gazes, memories of the war begin to surface. The smell of smoke from the fire reignites recollections of fierce firefights, and the crackling of the flames rings out like distant grenades. These memories haunt him like restless ghosts, unable to leave his mind.

With a deep sigh, Michael's demons temporarily falter. He turns to face the fire and watches the flames jump and sprint around. As he gazes into the bright fire, its warmth embraces him, as If to comfort him in his struggle. His head then turns to an old chest, a memento from his great-grandfather. Walking over, he carefully opens the chest, revealing the honor and bravery stored inside. He sees patches, pictures, diaries, a helmet, and spare ammunition. Each item in the chest carries the weight of hundreds of men. Men that Mike looked up to, and tried to live up to during this war.

His great-grandfather, Richard Winters, led this battalion of heroes. Mike spots a note on a box and reads it. "From all of the men serving in the 506th parachute infantry regiment, currahee!"

Currahee, the indomitable mountain that Richard Winters and easy company trained at. The word itself means, "Stand alone"

As Michael's eyes lingered on the note, he felt a profound connection to the past. The word "Currahee" echoed in his mind, a reminder of the unyielding spirit that defined his great-grandfather and his comrades. The warmth of the fire seemed to intensify, wrapping him in a cocoon of solace as he absorbed the weight of the legacy before him.

With a trembling hand, he lifted Richard Winters' diary from the chest. The leather cover felt worn and familiar as if it had been waiting for this moment. Michael carefully opened it, revealing pages filled with the handwritten reflections of a leader who had faced immense challenges. The words spoke of camaraderie, courage, and the burden of leadership—a burden that Michael now shared.

Sitting back down by the fire, Michael began to read, each word resonating with the experiences he had faced and the lessons he had learned. The stories of his great-grandfather's leadership and the sacrifices of the 506th parachute infantry regiment struck a chord deep within him. Richard's courage and resilience were not just historical facts; they were living ideals that had guided and inspired generations.

As Michael turned the pages, he felt an overwhelming sense of responsibility. If his great-grandfather's words could inspire him, perhaps his own experiences could offer insight and solace to others. The thought of sharing his story—of leading his own battalion of heroes—took root in his mind.

Determined, Michael set aside the diary and opened his own journal. The blank pages before him now seemed like a canvas on which he could paint his truth.

He began to write, his mind focused on conveying his experiences with clarity and gravity.

"Memoir of Michael Winters, leader of the Wolverines.

Given the extraordinary circumstances of the war my unit and I faced, and the profound strain it placed upon us, I have deemed it necessary to document my experiences for both myself and for posterity. This war was unlike any other, and the weight of what we saw and did bears heavily on our hearts. To move forward, we must confront it directly. To those who read this, understand that while we may have violated laws in our fight, it was done out of necessity for peace and freedom. We fought, we won, and we believe our actions were justified."