CHAPTER FIVE

Season 1, Episode 2, Part 1

It had even been a full minute since the last episode-what they'd decided to call them-had ended when the next one began with a rather alarming sound that caused most in the hall to jump.

"CONSTANT VIGILENCE!" Moody roared as he violently pushed himself up from his seat and smacked the ground with his walking staff hard.

"Alastor, sit down!" McGonagall snapped, her lips thin and her nostrils flared.

He did so, acting cowed until the older woman had turned away, then he pulled a nasty face and stuck his tongue out at her back.

Most in the hall ignored this exchange and focused on the screen before them.

BLACKWATER RIDGE,

LOST CREEK, COLORADO

Appeared at the bottom of the screen in white script, a stark contrast against the black backdrop.

The sound of crickets chirping, owls hooting, bats' wings flapping, and fire crackling could be heard as the screen slowly lit up with the scenery of a forest so deep within there was no light except that of the moon in the sky above.

The camera slowly panned behind trees and fallen limbs, focusing on the small campsite. Two tents, both bright orange, stood out against the greens and browns of nature around them.

Heavy breathing could be heard, along with faint growling. Twigs snapped, and branches rustled. Something was moving around in the forest.

"God, why must this be like a horror movie?" Scott whined as he turned his head to the side so that the screen was not directly in front of him. He watched from the corner of his eye, ready to jump at a moment's notice.

Isaac laughed beside him, teasingly bumping his shoulder against the True Alpha's. Scott huffed and pushed him back with a small, whispered, "Shut up!"

Isaac just giggled again and focused once more back on the screen.

Suddenly, a deep, hungry growl ripped through the hall, echoing against the stone walls, originating from the screen.

Quite a few people shivered, unnerved by the pure animalistic rage in the sound.

Eerie music started to play as the camera approached the campsite, arriving at a small clearing and zooming in.

The rustling continues.

Inside one of the tents, playing on an old DS Nintendo system, thumbs scrambling all over the place as the alien battle game played on the device.

A young man was seen, probably about twenty-two or maybe twenty-three years old. He had fair skin and curly hair, from what they could see, poking out of the bottom of the bandana tied around his head. His focus was entirely on the game in front of him.