The First Visit

That night was a whirlwind of emotions for everyone. I remember my Mom sobbing into Dad's chest. "Amy, please don't cry, I know this hurts, but maybe-", Dad said softly. "Stop it Daniel, I am not listening to the think positive bogus crap.", Mom said bluntly. I watched Dad lower his head and hold Mom even tighter. Mom's sharp and harsh tone hurt Dad's feelings but I know he understood Mom and just quietly held her.

I crawled on the bed with Richie and nestled in behind Mom and Dad. I laid there holding the little gray kitten close and slowly fell asleep listening to the soft sniffles of Mom and the loud purring of Richie.

"My Rainey Bug! I miss you so much and who is your little friend that you have with you?", Grandma said with excitement. I look around and I am in Grandmas house. It's just her and I, sitting in her wood paneled living room. My legs can feel the scratchy material that covers the old couch. I look over and see the massive box TV, showing a fuzzy soap opera. I turn to look at Grandma, sitting in her rocking recliner, maroon and probably my age but still in brand new condition.

"Grandma, I thought that you...", I said softly. I look down at my legs, still in my school clothes from the day and a tear drops down and softly pats my blue jeans in a small spot. "Rainey Bug, do you understand what has happened?", Grandma asked concerned. I hear a rustle and suddenly, her hand is on my knee. "I understand that you left. I know that I will never see you again.", I said crying.

Grandma pulls me into a hug and starts brushing her fingers through my hair. "Oh my sweet child. You may never see me in person again but I will always be here with you. Did you know we have what they call the "Sight". Did your Mom ever tell you about it?", Grandma said. I take a long minute to think back to all the times that Mom and I had our conversations by the two of us. I cannot recall any conversations that related to what Grandma was saying.

"Well if she hasn't, let me give you a quick explanation of what it is!", she said with excitement. I snuggle up close into Grandma's lap and she continues to play with my hair. I will always remember moments like these! The best naps I have ever taken were here laying in her lap. I lay there and listen to the fuzzy soap opera and Grandma stops playing with my hair and asks me to sit up.

"Now, the Sight is something special and everyone in our family has it. Your mom has it and both of your aunts. I have it.", she said smiling. I try to imagine what the Sight is but other than just being able to see things in different scenarios I have no explanation for it. "Now this isn't something to be scared of. In fact, you're using the Sight right now. By being here talking to me, this is it!", she said with excitement.

"So I can see you even though you're not here? I can still lay in your lap? How do I do it though?", I asked confused. All of this is a lot to take in and I can't wrap my head around what is happening. I'm talking to my dead Grandmother. How?

"Sometimes, you can use your Sight to talk to whoever you feel around you. Sometimes, those who want to talk to you will use your Sight first. You have to be careful sometimes. Some of the ones using your Sight can use you in the wrong ways, so always be cautious with who you are communicating with!", she said sternly. I look into her soft pale blue eyes and can feel her warm arms around me. "I'll miss you Grandma!", I said crying.

"Rainey, I will always be here. Just use your Sight when you need me. I will always come here to meet you when I can sweet girl.", Grandma said lovingly.

I wake up in my own bed, Richie by my side. I guess Dad had brought us in here when they realized I was asleep. I am still in my school clothes and my door is wide open. I get out of my warm bed and find my sleep clothes and head back to the hallway to the bathroom. Before I get to the bathroom, I notice that the lights are still on in Mom and Dad's room. I creep quietly down the hallway and stick my ear up to the door.

"Daniel, I haven't been able to see her at all with my Sight. What am I going to do? How do I go about raising our daughter without her?", Mom said panicked. Before I can hear anymore, Richie is by my side pawing under their door. I hear footsteps coming towards the door, I grab Richie and run into the bathroom and shut the door. I hear their door open and shut. I hold Richie close to me and cry into his soft fur. So much has happened tonight and I just don't understand any of it. I change into my sleep clothes, Richie on my heels we head off to bed.