Ch. 03: A Different Rhythm

### Chapter 3: A Different Rhythm

Summary: As Jade and Noah continue to train, the tension between them begins to ease, and they find themselves bonding over shared late-night practice sessions. Meanwhile, Mia keeps reminding Jade of her "second place" status, fueling her determination to win the solo spot. Noah's carefree attitude starts to rub off on Jade, and she begins questioning her own approach to dance and life.

---

It was late. The academy's halls were eerily quiet, with only the soft hum of fluorescent lights overhead. Most students had gone home hours ago, but Jade found herself back in the studio, staring at the reflection of herself in the mirror. Her body ached from the day's practice, but her mind refused to settle.

She couldn't shake the words Noah had asked earlier—Why do you take this so seriously?

It wasn't an easy question to answer. To Jade, dance was everything. It wasn't just a passion; it was her identity, her future. She had always felt the pressure to be perfect, to prove that she belonged at Wellington. Her mom, who used to be a dancer before an injury ended her career, had poured every ounce of encouragement—and maybe some unspoken expectations—into Jade. To disappoint her would feel like failure.

The door creaked open, pulling Jade from her thoughts. Noah stepped in, skateboard in hand and his usual easygoing grin plastered on his face.

"You just live here, don't you?" he joked, tossing his board into the corner.

Jade crossed her arms. "What are you doing here? It's late."

Noah shrugged. "Couldn't sleep. Figured I'd get some practice in." He paused, looking her over. "You couldn't sleep either?"

Jade sighed, dropping her arms. "Something like that."

Noah sauntered across the room and stood next to her, his eyes on their reflections in the mirror. For a moment, neither of them said anything. The studio was so quiet that Jade could hear the faint sound of the city outside—car horns, distant chatter, and the occasional gust of wind. It was strangely peaceful, being in the empty studio with Noah beside her.

"You don't have to push yourself so hard," Noah said softly, breaking the silence.

Jade shook her head. "It's not that simple. I can't just... stop caring. This is important to me."

"I get that," Noah said, leaning against the mirrored wall. "But you're allowed to enjoy it too. It doesn't have to be perfect all the time."

Jade didn't respond right away. She wanted to argue, to tell him that he didn't understand. But the truth was, part of her envied Noah's carefree attitude. He seemed so at ease with himself, like nothing could shake him. Meanwhile, she felt like she was always on the verge of messing up—like one wrong step could ruin everything.

"What about you?" Jade asked, glancing at him. "Why do you dance?"

Noah thought for a moment, a thoughtful expression crossing his face. "It's an escape for me, I guess. Something that makes me feel alive, you know? I don't care about rules or competitions. I just like to move, to feel the music. It's like... freedom."

Freedom. The word hit Jade like a punch to the chest. Dance had never felt like freedom to her. It had always been a path lined with expectations and pressure. She couldn't imagine what it would be like to dance just for the sake of it, without caring about what anyone thought.

"You're lucky," Jade murmured, her voice barely above a whisper.

Noah raised an eyebrow. "Lucky?"

"Yeah," she said, forcing a small smile. "You don't have to carry all this weight around. You just... dance."