[24] forgive me for my sins

___________

The dawn was tragically beautiful. Across the usual red haze of the skies were clouds painted in vivacious oranges and pinks. It looked like the sky had been lit on fire. Burning with the souls of the lost and guiding them home.

Beneath that sky on the outskirts of home stood a young boy in amongst the debris and regrowing flora of a century past. His hands were occupied with a garden shovel, white boots stamping down on the metal edge to crush through dry soil. His clothes had been soaked through, breaths sharp and focused. Not a word said as he continued the onus task.

Elias stood and watched the young boy work, wondering whether he should approach. Watching his little rabbit's focus was always something he'd treasured. Enamoured by the way his doe eyes would go wide, chin tilted and lips squished into a pout. There was an innocence in his devotion to every task he put his mind to. Now it was hard to find any joy in that expression. Elias knew that his dedication to this task was a heavier burden than any he would ever feel.

Eventually Jungkook put down the shovel and walked over to the place where white cloth was laid out. He tucked his arms under the first bundle, carrying the heavy weight to the crater in the ground to gently lay them down. This continued until laid out in the earth were the covered bodies of fallen Katharós.

As he began to cover the bodies Elias made his decision. His presence did little to Jungkook's flow; not even pausing to take a glance at the new arrival. Without a word the elder began to help. Together they shovelled until the white disappeared beneath the dirt.

At the end of it all the sun had fully risen, clouds dissipating to allow for the full gaze upon those existing below. Jungkook fell back to the ground, forearm falling across his eyes. Elias stopped by his side, silently expecting to be sent away. When Jungkook didn't say anything he tentatively sat down. Again, nothing. Together they laid in the remains of exhausted grief pondering the tumultuous world they'd both come from.

▪︎▪︎▪︎

Silence was a dangerous weapon that was threatening to swallow Jungkook whole. The eerie emptiness of such a lively town leaving goosebumps crawling across his skin. Each sway of fabric or flora in the wind put him on edge, flinching away from the psychological fear that he'd missed one.

Now home, he wished to fall into bed and never wake up. He twisted the door handle and pushed inside with a foot ready to stop Mari from escaping if she'd been waiting at the door. He shut the door behind him and made his way over to his bed. As he pulled the blankets away he got a whiff of pungent ammonia, nose scrunching up to hinder the intensity.

"Why would you do that?!" He swivelled to search for the culprit, finding her over by her food bowl watching him with deep black eyes that reflected his own fractal stare. The anger bubbling under his skin was confusing. It felt so intense and sharp, yet he didn't want to feel it all. It wasn't Mari's fault. The urge within was to throw something at her, fingers curling around a pillow to seethe that thought.

Just the beginning of such animosity had Jungkook's lip trembling, body collapsing to the wooden bedframe and sinking to the floor. Before he knew it that anger was replaced with despair, head collapsing into his hands as unfiltered sobs finally escaped the caged silence he'd been stuck in for days. For once the empty town was a benefit. It meant he was away from those who would try to reason away his pain. People who would tell him 'it's okay, it's over now' like it would ever be over. The dirt on his hands could be tasted in amongst the saltiness, jaw twisted so tight it felt ready to fracture.

Hours passed and he continued to release those harrowed feelings. Left heaving and choking on phlegm. When Mari approached with her innocent curiosity he only descended further into that state, pulling her into his arms and holding her there to feel each quickened beat of her tiny heart.