Nowhere to Hide

Anna's breath came in shallow, panicked gasps as her fingers hovered over her phone, trembling with fear. Her mind raced as she stared at the screen, the text from the unknown number burning into her vision.

**"Do you feel safe? You shouldn’t."**

Her instincts screamed for her to call someone—Alex, the officer outside, anyone who could help—but fear paralyzed her. He was still out there, watching her, taunting her. The walls of the hospital room suddenly felt like they were closing in, trapping her.

Anna forced herself to move, her legs shaky as she stepped toward the door. She yanked it open, her heart pounding in her chest.

“Officer!” she called out, but the hallway was eerily empty. There was no one at the door.

Her pulse quickened. Where had the officer gone? He was supposed to be stationed there, guarding her. Panic gripped her chest, suffocating her as she scanned the hallway. The lights flickered overhead, casting long, sinister shadows across the floor.

She turned back to her phone, her hands trembling as she tried to dial Alex’s number. It rang twice before a groggy voice answered.

“Anna?” Alex’s voice was laced with pain and exhaustion.

“He’s watching me again,” Anna whispered, trying to keep her voice steady. “He sent another message. The officer outside my room is gone.”

There was a moment of silence on the other end, then Alex’s tone sharpened. “Lock the door. Now.”

Anna turned and slammed the door shut, locking it with shaking hands. She backed away from the door, her heart pounding in her chest as she listened to Alex’s voice through the phone.

“Stay away from the windows,” Alex ordered. “Stay out of sight. I’ll call the station and have another officer sent up immediately.”

Anna sat down on the edge of the bed, her body shaking uncontrollably. “How does he keep finding me? How is he always one step ahead?”

“He’s getting sloppy,” Alex replied, her voice calm and reassuring despite the tension in her words. “He’s desperate. He’s trying to scare you, but we’re not going to let him win.”

“I don’t know how much more of this I can take,” Anna whispered, her voice cracking with emotion. “He’s everywhere. I feel like he’s in my head, like I can’t escape him.”

“I know,” Alex said softly. “But you’re stronger than he is. And I’m going to make sure you stay safe.”

The sound of footsteps outside the door made Anna freeze. Her heart lurched in her chest as she listened, straining to hear. The footsteps were slow, deliberate, growing louder as they approached her room.

“Alex…” Anna whispered, her voice barely audible. “Someone’s outside.”

“I’m on my way,” Alex said, her voice tense with urgency. “Stay quiet.”

Anna held her breath, her eyes fixed on the door as the footsteps stopped just outside. For a long moment, there was only silence, the kind of suffocating stillness that made her blood run cold. Then, a soft knock.

“Dr. Delgado?” A voice called out, muffled through the door. “It’s Officer Thompson. Can I come in?”

Anna hesitated, her instincts screaming that something was wrong. The officer sounded calm, but after everything that had happened, she couldn’t trust anyone.

She didn’t answer.

“Dr. Delgado, are you alright?” the voice asked again, more insistent this time. “Please open the door.”