20. maybe later

VEER

VEER

"Then be at my mercy." I resist the urge to chuckle at her adorable face as she says these words to me.

Only if she knew.

I'm already at her mercy.

A small smile curves my lips as I take her hand and lift it to plant a kiss on her knuckles. "As you say, Mrs. Oberoi," I whisper against her skin.

Her eyes widen, and a light shade of crimson covers her cheeks. Suddenly, she abruptly pulls her hand back, losing control of it, causing colored water to splash against our clothes and faces—mostly on her.

A moment passes, and we both look at each other's drenched faces. My eyes lock with her hazel brown ones; her lashes are wet, and a few droplets cascade down her cheeks as she gazes at me in disbelief.

A bubble of laughter escapes me as I reach out to wipe the colored water from her cheeks. I graze my thumb under her eye, gently cleaning her soft skin.

Her eyes lower to the bowl, and the crimson hue intensifies. My breath hardens as I look at her. "such a mess you are," I whispered with a smile, and ruffled her hair before standing up.

I walk toward the dressing table, grabbing some tissues I turned back to her, only to see her standing there in her half-drenched saree.

The pink saree had nearly taken my breath away when I saw her in the morning. I still chuckle at the memory of her frustration when she couldn't arrange her plates, but my heart races at the way her face turned red when I helped her.

Breathe.

I was about to say something when she quietly states, "I'll take a shower instead of using those—" She points at the tissues in my hand.

"Okay," I mutter, stepping closer to her. She instinctively takes a few steps back but stops as I bend down to take her drenched pallu, standing back up with it in hand.

"Pallu sambhal ke varna gir jaogi," I said, placing the end of the pallu in her hand. Looking up at me, she glared, clutching the pallu as she muttered, "Chalna aata hai mujhe."

Her face was still flushed with crimson as she stepped beside me to walk toward the bathroom, but soon she tripped. Instinctively, I grasped her arm gently.

A smirk glided over my lips as I leaned in closer until my chest brushed against her arm. "Sambhal kar," I said, and then I walked into the closet.

The second I stepped inside, the thud of the door closing indicated that she was in the bathroom now. I fetched a T-shirt and sweatpants, changing out of my wet clothes.

The sound of the shower running echoed in the room. Taking a cloth, I started to clean up the mess we'd made. After tidying the floor, I took the bowl downstairs and washed it. Then I made a cup of coffee for myself and walked back into our room.