Heartfelt Dinner

After Maghrib prayer at the masjid, Imran walked home, his thoughts still preoccupied with the vampire book problem and his clash with James. Vampires, he thought with mild frustration. Who still cares about vampires? They were left behind in the 2000s. He shook his head, not understanding the continued obsession with fantasy themes.

Once home, he quickly freshened up, even taking a shower to relax his mind. Dressing in a neat shirt and jeans—always mindful to ensure his jeans stayed above the ankles, as a good Muslim man should—he prepared to visit Hamid's family for dinner. Before heading downstairs to Hamid's apartment, Imran decided to make a quick stop at Wing Mart.

Wing Mart was a small, cozy store in town, owned by Ms. Grimshaw, a sweet lady in her sixties. Imran had grown fond of her over the years. Her children had long left Magrady after graduating, moving to the city and leaving her to manage the shop on her own. Despite this, she was always cheerful and seemed to find joy in even the smallest things. Today, as Imran entered the mart, he noticed her sitting behind the counter, reading Pride and Prejudice.

"Good evening, Ms. Grimshaw," Imran greeted as he grabbed a basket.

"Ah, Imran! You're just in time for my favorite part," Ms. Grimshaw replied with a smile, her eyes lighting up. "Elizabeth is about to turn down Mr. Darcy's proposal. Can you imagine?"

Imran chuckled, though he was somewhat unfamiliar with the classic novel. "I've always heard about Pride and Prejudice, but I've never really had the chance to read it."

"You should," Ms. Grimshaw urged, her face warm and encouraging. "It's a delightful story about love, pride, and self-discovery. Maybe you'll find it interesting."

"I'll add it to my list, but finding the time is a different story," Imran replied as he picked up some fruits and small toys for Hamid's kids. "I'm actually heading over to Hamid's place for dinner tonight."

Ms. Grimshaw's eyes sparkled with her characteristic warmth. "Oh, Imran, you're always so busy. But listen, if you ever find yourself with a free evening, you must come over for dinner at my place. I'll make sure everything's halal, don't you worry. In fact, most of Magrady eats halal, since we've got only one butcher in town."

Imran smiled warmly, appreciating the gesture. "Thank you, Ms. Grimshaw. I'll definitely take you up on that offer."

After exchanging pleasantries, Imran left the mart, holding the bag of gifts for the children, and made his way to Hamid's floor. He knocked gently, and the door swung open with Hamid greeting him as if they were brothers. That's what happens when two people are devoted to Allah—true love fills their hearts.

"Imran! Come in, come in!" Hamid exclaimed, wrapping him in a brotherly embrace. "You spoil us with your visits!"

Imran laughed as he handed the gifts to Abdul and Fatimah, Hamid's two kids, who shrieked with joy upon receiving the toys. "Thank you, Uncle Imran!" they chimed in unison, their faces beaming with excitement.

Hamid playfully scolded him. "You're spoiling them with toys every time you come!"

Imran shrugged, smiling. "This is the joy of their time. Now if I brought a toy for you, Hamid, you'd probably think I need to be sent to the Magrady Mental Asylum."

Hamid burst out laughing. "Speaking of which, did you hear? The mayor announced the closing of the asylum. Looks like Magrady's finally progressing."

Imran nodded. "Yeah, I heard about that. Even the prison is almost empty now."

As they chatted, Layla walked into the room, setting the table. Imran stood up and greeted her with salaam. She teased him in return. "So, Imran, when are you bringing me a companion?" she joked, hinting at marriage.

Imran chuckled nervously, while Hamid chimed in with a grin. "Yeah, Imran, it's about time!"

Layla and Hamid worked together to finish setting up the table, while Imran admired the bond they shared. "How beautiful is Islam," Imran thought aloud. "A husband and wife, obedient to Allah, living a life of harmony."

The table was set with an impressive spread of Arabic dishes—succulent lamb kebabs, flavorful rice with almonds and raisins, tabbouleh, and fresh-baked khubz. There were also platters of dates and baklava for dessert. After eating their fill, Layla brought out mint tea, completing the meal with a sweet, refreshing finish.

As they ate, Layla brought up a suggestion. "You know, Imran, you and Hamid should start a business together. You've both got the skills, and it could be something you manage part-time. I could even help with the shop."

Imran paused, considering her words. "It's a good idea, Layla. But we'd have to think carefully about what kind of shop. A restaurant, for example, would need a big investment, and it's a full-time commitment."

"We'll brainstorm," Hamid said, smiling. "There's potential for something."

The dinner was full of lively conversation, and by the time they finished, Isha prayer was approaching. Imran and Hamid prayed together at home, their hearts at peace.

Around 10 p.m., Imran decided to head back to his apartment, reflecting on the evening and on Layla's suggestion about starting a business. It was tempting, but part of him still leaned toward pursuing his manuscript. Another part of him was drawn toward learning more about the Deen, thinking about studying systematically and deepening his knowledge.

Back home, Imran spent the next hour working on some ideas for Kim's vampire book, surprisingly finding himself coming up with concepts that he hadn't considered before. By the time he finished, it was past 1:30 a.m. Content and feeling blessed, Imran lay down to sleep, thinking of Allah, the Creator of the Majestic Throne, and the One who blesses each soul with purpose.

It is a short chapter. I am still waiting for the very first comment on the story. Maybe I'll have to wait. Salam everyone.