Nineteen | M I S T A K E S

- the next morning

Now that it was the day, Rafe and I decided to go out and find John B. I hopped onto Rafe's bike, I couldn't shake off the feeling that we were in for a wild ride. Barry joined us, his eyes fixed on the Pogues, hoping to retrieve his $25,000.

We stopped at a stop sign, letting a fleet of police cars speed by. Rafe's eyes narrowed as he gazed after them.

"Aw, shit man. They're after him. There's a reward for him. 25k," Rafe mentioned.

Barry spoke, his sarcasm evident. "Yeah, obviously brother. That's the first thing I thought of."

The police cars disappeared into the distance, leaving us to continue our pursuit. Rafe's eyes scanned the road, his gaze locking onto another car, "Wait, hold up."

I followed his gaze, "What?"

Rafe's eyes furrowed. "Yo, is that Kie?"

Barry's voice dripped with malice. "There go that little bitch-ass, right there."

We tailed the car, our bikes weaving through the traffic. We finally arrived at the boating docks, our engines dying down as we crept inside and we cornered the Pogues.

Rafe took the lead, "Hey, there. What's going on? JJ? How you guys doing?"

Barry flanked the other side, his gun drawn. "Well, well."

My eyes widened as I watched the scene unfold. "Barry... That's not necessary."

Rafe's voice was calm, reassuring. "He's just scaring them, don't worry."

But Barry's eyes told a different story. "See, don't think I forgot about me and you on the side of the road. I'm here because I want my motherfucking money."

Kie jumped at him, but Rafe held her back, cornering her against some boxes, "It's not you we want, Kie. Where's John B?"

Kie then slapped Rafe. "I don't know!"

Rafe's face darkened, his anger simmering, "I really wish you didn't do that."

Kie's voice trembled. "I know what you two did!"

Rafe's eyes flashed with anger. "What? What did we do?"

"You guys murdered Peterkin!" Kie's words hung in the air like a challenge.

The room fell silent, the only sound the heavy breathing of the Pogues. My eyes met Rafe's, his face twisted in anger. "Listen..." Rafe grabbed Kie by the throat. "Don't you ever say those fucking words again. Understand? Where's John B!"

The scene erupted into chaos as Barry began to beat up JJ, Pope tackling Rafe from behind. I watched in horror as the fight escalated, my heart pounding in my chest.

"Pope, okay. He gets it now!" I yelled, but Pope kept swinging.

Rafe smacked him in the face, but Pope landed the most hits. Barry tossed a gun to Rafe, but JJ tripped him, sending the gun clattering to the floor underneath a boat perched up by machinery.

"Get it, Scarlett," Rafe shouted, his voice muffled as Pope pushed him against a box.

I crawled under the boat, my heart racing as I retrieved the gun. When I turned around, I saw Pope strangling Rafe with a wire.

He was trying to kill him.

"Stop!" I held up the gun, pointing it at Pope.

JJ ran behind Pope, trying to pull him off. "Scarlett! What are you doing!" Kie yelled.

"Let him go!" I threatened, but my words fell onto deaf ears.

Rafe's face reddened, his eyes bulging as Pope's grip tightened.