Twenty four | U N I O N

I walked into the doctor's office, my nerves fluttering in my stomach like a million butterflies. It was time for my check-up, and I was anxious to hear that my baby was healthy but I was also anxious of my wedding today. Dr. Caleb's warm smile put me at ease as he led me to the examination room.

After the usual poking and prodding, Dr. Caleb announced that everything looked great. I let out a sigh of relief, feeling a weight lift off my shoulders. "Would you like to know the gender of the baby?" he asked.

I nodded eagerly, my heart racing with anticipation. Dr. Caleb chuckled and said, "I'll send you the results tonight."

I nodded, feeling a mix of emotions. I was excited to know whether I was having a boy or a girl. And I wanted to find out with Rafe, so today would be the day I tell him about my pregnancy when we finish the wedding and go to our honeymoon, it would be intimate and perfect.

I left the doctor's office, making sure my hoodie covered my growing bump. I went to the Cameron house and everyone was already there for the wedding. I quickly slipped into Wheezies room to get ready with Lilah.

I stood in front of the mirror, surrounded by curls of hair escaping from the updo Lilah had expertly crafted. She chatted away, applying a light touch to my makeup, making me feel like a princess. I couldn't help but feel a sense of calm wash over me as she worked her magic.

"So, have you told Rafe the big news yet?" Lilah asked, her eyes sparkling with curiosity.

I sighed, running a hand over my nervous stomach. "No, not yet. I was thinking of waiting until our honeymoon in the Bahamas."

Lilah nodded knowingly, a sly grin spreading across her face. "Ah, romantic getaway and all that, huh?"

I chuckled, feeling a flutter in my chest. "Something like that."

With a final flair, Lilah stepped back, admiring her handiwork. "You look stunning, Scarlett. Absolutely breathtaking."

I beamed with pride, feeling like the luckiest girl in the world. The soft rustle of fabric, the whispers of excitement, and the occasional burst of laughter drifted through the doorway, signaling that our guests were getting restless.

A gentle knock on the door broke the spell, and Ward's warm voice filtered in. "Scarlett, it's time. The ceremony is about to start."

I took a deep breath, my heart racing with anticipation. My dress skirt went all the up to my bra line so it covered my belly perfectly. Lilah gave me a gentle squeeze on the shoulders before disappearing into the fray. Ward offered his arm, and I took it, grateful for his support.

As we waited behind the doorway, I could hear the gentle murmurs of the guests, the sound of the flower boy and girl, Rafe's adorable cousins making their way down the aisle. It was almost time.

Ward gave my hand a reassuring squeeze, and we stepped out into the warm sunlight. Their backyard, usually a space for casual barbecues and family gatherings, had been transformed into a magical setting for my wedding. String lights twinkled overhead, creating a warm, ethereal glow that illuminated the space.

I was in awe at how perfect it all was. The lawn, freshly cut and emerald green, stretched out like a luxurious carpet, dotted with white garden chairs.  Clusters of wildflowers, in every shade imaginable, bordered the pathways, their sweet fragrance mingling with the aroma of grilled food wafting from the nearby catering tent. A gentle breeze rustled through the leaves of the old oak tree that stood sentinel at the edge of the yard, casting shadows on the guests below.