Chapter 41

Victor didn't think he could love another human being as much as he loved his baby. When he got the news he came running, leaving behind all his unfinished business. He felt guilty for not being with his mate during the time of his need. His maid recounted how much pain Robin had to go through before the healer took him to surgery. Robin's physical state scared Victor. He thought he would lose the love of his life but with God's grace Robin survived and the little angel he brought to the world survived as well. The healer handed the baby to him and he knew his life would be altered forever. The little thing looked at him with so much vulnerability that he knew he would die for him. Kill for him.

Victor's stay was unexpectedly extended when he learned Harold Marcell and his son Marco Marcella had escaped the palace prison during Victor's absence. Someone inside the palace had helped them. It was dangerous for them to be free. Victor might have defeated Harold Marcella, but that didn't mean the man couldn't come back to power just as quickly. He should have killed the man. Victor made the decision to spare Harold's life primarily out of concern for Robin. Despite Robin's strained relationship with his father, Victor recognized the importance of their relationship. Robin grew up under the supervision of that man. Saw him as his father. Taking Harold's life would only serve to cause unnecessary suffering for Robin, and Victor couldn't bear the thought of adding to Robin's stress.

In an effort to locate Harold, Victor spared no expense, deploying private investigators and exhausting every resource at his disposal. However, Harold's influence and connections proved more formidable than Victor had anticipated, making him exceedingly difficult to track down. As Harold remained in hiding, Victor felt an intensified need to protect his partner and their child.

The healer entered the room and stood at the doorway with unease.

"Your mate has woken up," he announced. Victor had been taking care of their baby for the last two days with the help of a few maids. Although his instincts were telling him to take the baby away from any strangers. He didn't know who to believe anymore.

Victor's stood up, feeling a weight lift up his shoulders. He had been waiting for Robin to wake up. He needed to make sure his mate was safe. "Can I see him?" Victor asked.

"Yes. He wants to see his baby."

Victor nodded. Their baby wanted to see his mama as well. No wonder Robin wanted to see his baby. That man had fought a battle against death to bring their baby into the world. He cradled the baby and walked towards Robin's ward.

Robin almost jumped out of bed when he saw Victor enter the room. He extended his hands to hold the baby. Victor gave him his baby and smiled proudly as he saw his mate with their baby. Robin looked different in the white hospital gown. Not the regal prince but a vulnerable omega whose safety was in Victor's hand.

"He is so beautiful," Robin sobbed.

"He takes after you," Victor said.

Robin stared at the baby for the longest time, taking his fill. When the baby stirred in his arms Robin jolted. The baby mewled with the beginning of a cry.

"He is hungry," Robin said as a matter of fact. He removed his gown to the side to try to latch the baby to his now puffy nipples. Although an omega's chest remained flat, they still produced milk from mammary glands within his body. The baby refused to latch. He cried with wonton when Robbin tried again.

"What happened? Why isn't he drinking?" Robin asked with frustration.

The bay's wail stressed Victor. "He is hungry," Victor said, feeling clueless himself. He didn't know how this worked. He wasn't there when Nina was born and Arthur was dealing with his own things to come to help Victor through parenthood.