1

Wynter Gabriel Castillo Del Rosario

I stared out of the bay window, watching as the setting sun bathed the city in a soft, golden light. The glow reflected off the glass buildings, painting the skyline in hues of gold and orange. It felt surreal—standing here in my own apartment, feeling... free. After everything that happened, after her, I wasn’t sure I’d ever reach this point. But here I was, alive, standing tall, with no more chains holding me down.

I took a deep breath, letting the calm wash over me. For once, my heart wasn’t racing, my mind wasn’t trapped in a whirlwind of fear or uncertainty. This was peace, the kind I thought I’d lost forever. No more het. The name felt like a ghost from another life, a shadow that had haunted me for far too long.

"Baccla, infairness ha ang ganda talaga ng apartment mo!"Selene Ning Martinez Vega, my best friend since high school, beamed from the couch.

She sprawled across it like she owned the place, her legs kicked up, scrolling through her phone. "Totoo ba talaga? Wala na si... you know?"

I couldn’t help but smirk at the mention of her. Katarina. Her name alone sent a ripple of memories through me—some of them twisted, sweet moments that I tried to forget, others far darker. The kind that still kept me awake some nights, wondering how I ever got away. Memories of her hands on me, sometimes tender, sometimes harsh. The way her voice could be soft, like velvet, one minute, and ice-cold the next.

I pushed the thoughts aside, shaking my head. "It's been two years Selene. I finally get away from her hands." I said, my voice firmer than I expected. I wanted to believe it, to convince myself that she was just a bad chapter I had closed for good. "No more Katarina. Tapos na. I’m finally breathing."

Selene raised an eyebrow, her skepticism written all over her face. I knew she didn’t believe it was that simple. "Sana nga," she muttered, flipping her hair dramatically.

"Pero. . . Alam mo naman si Katarina—hindi yan marunong mag-let go. Kahit sabihin na nating wala na sya sa buhay mo, since lumipat ka ng bahay. But Wyn, Katarina is being Katarina. . . What if bumalik sya?"

Her words hit me like a punch to the gut. Katarina, back? No. I’d worked so hard to get away from her, to start fresh. She wouldn’t—she couldn’t—find me again. I refused to believe it.

"I’m not the same person, Selene,"I replied, more to myself than to her. "She can try, but I’m not scared of her anymore. Besides nakalayo na ako, ikaw lang nakakaalam kung saan ang address ko."My voice trembled ever so slightly, but I kept my chin up. I had to be strong, for my own sake.

Selene studied my face for a moment, her playful expression softening into something more serious. "You’re strong, Wyn. You’ve come a long way. Pero… just be careful, okay? You know who she is. She won’t let you slip away so easily. She's Valencia."

I forced a smile, trying to shake the unease creeping in. "I’ll be fine. I’m finally living my life—on my terms. No one’s taking that from me." But the words felt hollow, a weak defense against the storm brewing inside me.

Time passed, filled with laughter and memories, and for a while, it felt like the old days. Just Selene and me, talking about everything and nothing. Ito loka loka parin sya. Walang pinagbago napaka savage nya parin ang sarap n'ya yakapin. Yakapin sa leeg.

I clung to those moments, desperately trying to hold on to the warmth and normalcy they brought. But as the evening wore on, the weight of her earlier words stayed with me, lingering in the back of my mind like a shadow I couldn’t shake.

It was close to midnight when Selene finally stood, groaning as she checked her phone.

"Girl, maaga pa shift ko bukas. Susmaryosep, I hate it." She stretched, her phone clattering onto the table as she stood up. "May co-worker pa akong damoves ng damoves sakin kala mo naman interesado ako sa mga mukhang tuhod."