Chapter 2 : Growth

Due to the rushed end of the operation, which led to the underground network being wiped out of existence, the High Mother Maria had to call a meeting of every Mother in her jurisdiction. Both Karen and Epsilon were summoned, alongside five others. Since Mother Epsilon's base had a sanctuary and ritual rooms, it was chosen to hold the council. Had the operation been a complete success, it would have allowed the promotion of an Eldest Sister into a Mother, but without any underground to puppeteer, the plans had been canceled.

Despite the important meeting being held, the Sisters kept operating as if nothing changed, though there were more Sisters roaming around the mountain base. Information gathering, spying, and networking, the machine was still running. While Cupcake was reading books about leadership, Seven Three was clearing her mind with some practice shooting at the range. As the days passed, the grief faded and the resolve to honor the fallen was ignited.

One day, Cupcake was sent to the mountain base to deliver some valuable date on a USB stick to a Savvy Sister; a mission completed without any setbacks since the region was secured. The bubbly Sister took the occasion to visit her cold friend, finding her at the shooting range, being as precise as ever.

"Howdy, Seven Three," Cupcake declared, kneeling next to the focused sharpshooter laying on her stomach.

Without losing focus of her target, Seven Three replied with a monotonous voice, "Greetings, Cupcake. Need to improve your shooting skills?"

Chuckling, the bubbly Sister laid next to her sibling and took the pair of binoculars on the ground and raised them to her eyes. "Two hundred meters, no wind, slight elevation," Cupcake calmly declared, allowing her friend to take the shoot dead center. "Can't a Sister visit another for fun?" she laughed.

Still looking through her reticle, Seven Three unloaded the spent cartridge and loaded the next one in one smooth motion. "I suppose she can. Last target and I'm going for some urban recon. You interested?"

Cupcake was genuinely surprised by the offer, with a stifling smile, she replied, "Since when Sisters of different Mothers can go on a mission without their permission? Are you getting bolder?" she laughed. "Count me in!"

With another bang, the practice target was hit at its center. The two Sisters got up and wiped the dust off their clothes before getting ready for an outing. Despite the semi-impromptu recon mission, protocols were followed, and each sibling notified their Eldest Sister about their mission.

Dressed like inconspicuous tourists, their backpack carrying their dismantled precision rifle they had. Seven Three led her sibling to a densely populated area which bustled with activity, from food stalls to cafés with their terrasse filled with patrons. It seemed like it was the preparation for a popular event, which explained the cheerful atmosphere. Ignoring the constant noise and chaotic crowd, the Sisters went into a café with a rooftop.

Sitting at a table with a glass of orange juice, Cupcake looked amused as she sipped her beverage with the purposefully annoying sound of her straw. "I didn't know you enjoyed this kind of place, Sveta," she remarked, using Seven Three's civilian alias.

Lightly slapping away the plastic straw, the cold Sister replied calmly, "There was this crush who usually comes around here at this time, Katya."

Smiling coyly, Cupcake nudged her friend with the elbow, though she also tried to spot the "crush", which was a codeword for HVT. "Oh, look at you! You've got a crush! That's so cute. Tell me, what's he like? Is he a tall blond man?"

From the corner of her eyes, she had spotted a blond man that stood out from the crowd, following him with her gaze.

Exhaling from her nose, Seven Three mock rolled her eyes, lowkey enjoying the lighthearted atmosphere. "No, he's a medium height man with brown eyes and brown hair. He really likes wearing a dark hoodie, often keeping his hands warm in his pockets."