Chapter 5: Aftermath

——————————☂️——————————

Luther grunted as he stood up, lifting the chandelier off his back. However, the chandelier ripped off his jacket and his shirt, revealing his upper body.

"Holy shit." Diego whispered.

Diego, Allison and Vanya all stared at Luther's torso which more resembled a gorilla's rather than a human's. His chest, back and arms were all very hairy and the skin looked very leathery. They all finally realized how he got so bulky.

Luther looked at Allison, and noticed the way she was staring at him. He quickly ran past Diego and up the stairs to go cover himself up again.

Allison turned and saw Vanya standing in the entrance to the living room and walked over to her.

"Did you know?" Vanya asked.

She shook her head. "No."

Diego heard humming coming from upstairs and his eyes widened. "Shit, mom."

He ran upstairs to find Grace still sitting in the chair, humming as she did her cross stitch.

"Mom, are you okay?"

She smiled. "Of course I am."

"You didn't hear the noises? The guys in the mask that just shot up the house?" He asked.

"What are you talking about silly?"

Diego looked down and noticed that she had started sewing through her own hand. He took a shaky breath and knew what he had to do.

He knelt down in front of her and used his knife to slice through her arm revealing the wires underneath.

"Diego, what are you doing?" Grace wondered.

He looked up at her. "It's gonna be o-o..."

Grace saw him struggling to speak and smiled. "Remember what we talked about. Just picture the word in your mind."

"It's gonna be okay...m-m-m-mom." Diego stuttered.

He reaches into her arm, and shut her down. Her eyes flickered blue and her words started slurring. "Di-eg-o...re-mem-ber..."

Grace stopped talking, and her eyes fluttered closed and she went still. Diego stared at her with tears in his eyes, knowing this was the hardest thing he's ever had to do. She may not have been a real person, but she was his real mother.

...

"Who were those people?" Vanya asked.

"I don't know. But we're lucky to be alive." Allison said. "You sure you're okay?"

She nodded.

Diego came into the living room and began pacing back and forth, breathing shakily.

"Diego?" Allison called.

He paused and stared at Vanya. "What are you still doing here?"

Vanya looked a bit surprised at his question. "I-I'm just trying to help—."

"No, you couldn't been killed! Or gotten any of us killed." He yelled. "She is a liability."

Vanya looked to Allison. "Allison?"

She looked down for a moment before looking at her. "I think what he's trying to say is that this kind of stuff is dangerous. You're just..."

"Not like you." Vanya finished for her.

When Allison didn't respond, Vanya stood up and walked out of the room.

"No, Vanya, that's not what I..."

"Let her go." Diego said. "It's for the best."

...

Vanya stepped out of the taxi into the pouring rain. She looked up at the house that she asked the taxi driver to drop her off at and went up to the porch, knocking on the door.

A few seconds later, Leonard opened the door and smiled upon seeing her. "Vanya." Then he frowned noticing her appearance. "Oh my God, you're bleeding. What happened?"

"Sorry, I...I didn't know where else to go." She explained.

Leonard nodded in understanding. "It's okay. Come on in."

...

Hazel was lying against his bed watching TV and eating a jelly donut, recovering from the fight at the Academy. Cha-Cha opened the door to the room and limped in, staring at Hazel.

"Where the hell were you?"

"When you didn't come out, I figured we'd just regroup here." He shrugged.

"And you stopped...for a jelly donut?" She asked incredulously.

"...maybe..."

"After everything we just went through?"

"Well, I needed some comfort food after that disaster."

Cha-Cha sat on her bed and sighed. "Well, tonight was a total loss."

Hazel glances at her. "Well, I'm not so sure about that."

...

He led Cha-Cha out to their car, both of them wearing their masks. Hazel took out the key and unlocked the trunk to reveal Klaus.

——————————☂️——————————